What I did on the plot today - 2011

• 2810 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2011
« Reply #2355 on: September 28, 2011, 20:00 »
watered toms and peppers in g/house, picked a few more raspberries, ate them  ;) and then did a bit of hoeing  :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2356 on: September 28, 2011, 20:15 »
My garden (= plot) includes a pond which today I decided to get down on hands and knees to clear out as much as possible as the water was still quite warm.

Heaved out what once upon a time was a little potted waterlily from BQ (but now resembles something from another planet  :ohmy:) at great risk to my back, disturbed several frogs which were even less impressed by the proceedings than I was, and finished up with a huge pile of "stuff" which appears to be bigger than the entire volume of the pond (it will all eventually finish up in the compost heap.)  :unsure:  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2357 on: September 28, 2011, 23:54 »
following a full days gardening at home, went down the lottie for a couple of hours this evening....dug in lots of compost from the home compost heap, harvested a sackfull of carrots, some japanese type spring onions, and planted some broccoli plants that i (cheated) and bought from the garden center ::)

Vit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2358 on: September 29, 2011, 12:17 »
Polished blades on my F200 by tilling new plot  :D
Found some beetroot plants come out. Hell yeah!
This morning found out, that i have another pests - wild rabbits. Bustards ate leaves on sweet potato plants  >:(
Also big black ants now trying taste of okura  >:(

DigIt

• Experienced Member
  • Each to their own
« Reply #2359 on: September 29, 2011, 20:33 »
Spent an hour on the allotment in the evening sunshine  8), and came back with a veritable haul:
Apples
Raspberries (quality and quantity reducing now on the 'Autumn Bliss')
Courgettes still going strong
Beetroot
Spring Onions
A Savoy
Austrian Cooking Radish
Sweetcorn - the last cobs
and
some small florets of calabrese.
 ::)

Must do some digging tomorrow evening, weather permitting.
In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous.
Aristotle.

Diary comments and questions

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2360 on: September 30, 2011, 00:23 »
JayG....i took inspiration from your post and decided to clear out my water feature (also known as the frog pond ::))....they were not too happy, but i have been waiting all year to reclaim it after seeing all the frog spawn in there in the spring and monitoring all of the tiny frogs all summer........enough is enough!!!! i wanted my water feature back :lol:

after a days hard work of sorting out and the replanting around 'MY' water feature and replacing all of the stones beautifully, i sat, covered in mud, with a glass of wine and enjoyed the fruits of my labour :)..........ten minutes later, i see mother frog sitting in the water feature...which is now acting as frog jacuzzi....giving me the evils :lol:

edited to add....they have their own pond in the wildlife part of my garden that they seem to think is beneath them :nowink:

« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 01:22 by goose »

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #2361 on: September 30, 2011, 09:57 »
I've finished pruning back the hawthorn hedge (150 feet of it) to a manageable height and now I'm building some cold frames out of old doors in readyness for the spring, also making some sturdy moveable netted frames for the cabbages.

Fresh pears off the tree for breakfast this morning! mmmmm  :)
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

savbo

« Reply #2362 on: September 30, 2011, 14:00 »
i think I'm going to collect a pine double bedhead I saw dumped on the way into work and make a pair of shelves for breadbaskets of empty pots...  :)

foxknocker

« Reply #2363 on: September 30, 2011, 14:03 »
Still digging  :lol: bit hot to do too much  8) I'm hoping the heat gives my sweetcorn a boost but I will have to pick it next time I think it's finished but the cobs are so weedy. Picked some cabbage (soaking the slugs off it in the bucket now) *shudder*

My goji berry plant has arrived so I'm following the advice that I should keep it in the house now until spring, its bigger than I expected and might survive the winter but its best to follow the advice.

Going to buy my winter planting onions going to do loads so things look busy up there (because of my inspection)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2364 on: September 30, 2011, 18:38 »
Unreeled my long garden hose and nozzle from their winter hibernation places ( :ohmy:  ::)) and watered the garden. I think this may be a "first" for me at this time of year, especially in shirt-sleeves because of the heat and having to do it before 1800 because it gets dark so early.  :unsure:

DigIt

• Experienced Member
  • Each to their own
« Reply #2365 on: September 30, 2011, 19:52 »
Today was a mainly tidying day. Had a go at chipping the weeds away on the outside of Plot2 so now have a piece of clear ground for delivery of some manure.
Continued digging over and clearing this plot as well removing dock roots by the dozen. At least some progress could be seen. About a quarter of the plot to go!  :tongue2:

Cleared the chard and peas but not before I had collected a load of dried seed ready for using next year.

Vit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2366 on: October 01, 2011, 02:04 »
JayG....i took inspiration from your post and decided to clear out my water feature (also known as the frog pond ::))....they were not too happy, but i have been waiting all year to reclaim it after seeing all the frog spawn in there in the spring and monitoring all of the tiny frogs all summer........enough is enough!!!! i wanted my water feature back :lol:

after a days hard work of sorting out and the replanting around 'MY' water feature and replacing all of the stones beautifully, i sat, covered in mud, with a glass of wine and enjoyed the fruits of my labour :)..........ten minutes later, i see mother frog sitting in the water feature...which is now acting as frog jacuzzi....giving me the evils :lol:

edited to add....they have their own pond in the wildlife part of my garden that they seem to think is beneath them :nowink:

Don't be so greedy :) more frogs=less insects=better for plot. Also what is the summer without croaking frogs and cicades ;)

Springlands

« Reply #2367 on: October 01, 2011, 08:31 »
Winter digging until it started to persist down with rain (and has not stopped since the only thing that changes is the intensity).  :wacko:

Plot 6B

• NRAA Website
« Reply #2368 on: October 01, 2011, 14:28 »
I took the next door neighbour up the plots with me so he could help me to lift the Atlantic Giant pumpkin. His family are having it :) :) To hot to do any Winter digging :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:and besides the ground is like concrete!
The fruits of success come from hard work!
A.K.A. Nige2plots

tonel

« Reply #2369 on: October 01, 2011, 16:42 »
Digging and weeding today - turned over some empty plots and spent a lot of time digging out dock seedlings (one bed was particulary bad, full of the things) - wondering if there is a better tool for removing them other than digging them out with a hand fork?

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today 2024

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

48 Replies
Last post May 17, 2024, 14:01
by vikingraider
xx
What I did on the plot today 2020

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

247 Replies
Last post December 31, 2020, 15:57
by Aidy

Page created in 0.302 seconds with 31 queries.