What I did on the plot today - 2011

• 2810 Replies

grendel

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2011
« Reply #2385 on: October 05, 2011, 18:46 »
I agree, round my strawberries, all the weeds are turning brown and dying off, the strawberries however are still green, so to weed I just pull all the brown dead stuff out.
finally got to burn my blighted tomato plants now bonfires are allowed again. weeded and pulled up my sweetcorn plants.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Ralphy

« Reply #2386 on: October 05, 2011, 19:32 »
yep, strawberrys are as nails my planters were encased in a soilid block of ice for about six weeks last winter and i swear they looked healthier for it when it thawed!
 Anyway today i harvested borlotti beans, tried and failed to put up a solar shed light cos i couldn't find a knothole big enough to get the wire through (must get a cordless drill) and had a nice bottle of ale in the shed while the sun wen t down. Winter tats are, after a roaring start looking very upset :( , they've got the blight plus a bunch of other symptoms i've never seen before, time to get the books out
is pottering about a vocation?

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
« Reply #2387 on: October 05, 2011, 23:50 »
a nice bottle of ale in the shed   :D

this man is a man among allottments

Headgardener22

« Reply #2388 on: October 08, 2011, 09:51 »
Dug up the last of the main crop potatoes, autumn digging the plot. More tomatoes! Why did Monty Don pull up his tomatoes (because there are only going to be a few to come). How many tomatoes each week do you need? I would be much happier if I could get a pound a week all year than ten pounds a week for five weeks :happy:

DigIt

• Experienced Member
  • Each to their own
« Reply #2389 on: October 08, 2011, 13:37 »
Still digging and clearing the docks although the end is now well in sight after a couple of hours digging nigh on every day for the last 10 days.
At least now I have dug everywhere that I need, ready to plant the plums, blackberries and strawberry plants when they arrive.

As a break, lifted a couple of metres row of tatties. 13.5lb later!  :tongue2:

That now means I have lifted 137lb so far this season with about 3 metres of row left to go.  :)
In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous.
Aristotle.

Diary comments and questions

Debz

« Reply #2390 on: October 08, 2011, 13:51 »
Lifted all the tomato plants out of the greenhouse.  There was too much mould and if it was good enbough for Monty last night on Gardener's World then I am happy to go with it.  A couple of plates of green ones to ripen on the kitchen window.  They have been such a dissapointment this year but there is nothing I can do about the weather. :blink:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2391 on: October 08, 2011, 14:45 »
Our site just had a delivery of compost/leafmould ...and a fair few twigs in it :nowink:
Just carted 4 barrows of it, as i've only got one dalekful of compost which won't go far.
Ive mulched around brussels and leeks. If there's any left tomorrow I'll put some around the raspberries as well.

richy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2392 on: October 09, 2011, 14:58 »
Put onions sets in, built a new frame for spring cabbages to go in, dug a bean trench and filled it with compost, turned manuar heap and moved some leeks.
Harvested some more tomatoes, two cabbages, a few leeks and a few good carrots that were not hit by the fly.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #2393 on: October 09, 2011, 15:57 »
Dug up some celeriac, leeks, celery and parsnip for tonight's meal. Put four sacks of sand on polytunnel floor preparatory to laying weed control fabric before pea-gravel goes on top of that. Tomatoes are still looking OK but picked half a dozen that are nearly ripe just in case mildew spoils them. Threw aubergines out as something has bored holes into them.

Made a resolution to forget about aubergines and melons next year. I've never had any success in the greenhouse and now in the tunnel

Took runner-bean wigwam down and harvested a large washing-up bowl of beans to be podded and used up.

Dug out a couple of sinister looking clumps of nettles and buttercup.

Got feet thoroughly soaked by wearing old shoes rather than more sensible wellies

ptarmigan

« Reply #2394 on: October 09, 2011, 20:52 »
I bagged up 6 compost bags of seaweed off the beach and then piled them up on the allotment. See what happens. Hoping to use it well rotted on potatoes next year.

Vit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2395 on: October 10, 2011, 00:05 »
I bagged up 6 compost bags of seaweed off the beach and then piled them up on the allotment. See what happens. Hoping to use it well rotted on potatoes next year.
Welcome to the messageboard :)

Today going to pick some chestnuts and persimmons. This morning saw another pest in the forest behind the house - wild deer.

foxknocker

« Reply #2396 on: October 10, 2011, 09:44 »
(yesterday) planted some broad beans, checked my onions hadn't popped out of the ground (if i hadn't gone they would have done) and did some MORE DIGGING..

Spana

« Reply #2397 on: October 10, 2011, 10:44 »
I've just dug a parsnip :)

I know its a bit early but i need one for some soup.  :)

Thing is, i go on every year about sowing parsnips late so I will do again. :wub:

Sown this year on 19th May,  and it was last years seed.

Not a show stopper but good enough for me. :happy: I know, i cut the root off 'cause i couldn't be bothered to get the fork :wub:

Vit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2398 on: October 10, 2011, 16:58 »
Did as planned plus fixed "new toy". It's and Iseki tiller 2HP 4stroke mounted on the frame with driving belt. Tomorrow will give it a chance  :D

grendel

« Reply #2399 on: October 10, 2011, 19:22 »
took the strimmer down the plot, strimmed the nettles and weeds around the site stopcock, strimmed around the rest of the plot until I snagged some nylon line after which the head wouldnt turn - fixing time I think.
Grendel

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today 2018

Started by robinahood on Grow Your Own

355 Replies
Last post December 26, 2018, 17:48
by Offwego
xx
I have been to see my new plot for the first time today

Started by debih on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 18, 2008, 20:57
by Nogger

Page created in 1.128 seconds with 38 queries.