What I did on the plot today - 2011

• 2810 Replies

240173paul

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2011
« Reply #735 on: March 20, 2011, 19:05 »
Notmuch as I had my daughters with me 6 and 3 years old!  Sowed a row of radish,carrots and explained why we can't pick strawberrys!

Paul Plots

« Reply #736 on: March 20, 2011, 19:37 »
Notmuch as I had my daughters with me 6 and 3 years old!  Sowed a row of radish,carrots and explained why we can't pick strawberrys!
It is great to have "help" isn't it!  ::) I remember it well.... :lol:

All on my ownsome at the plot this afternoon so managed to get on in peace. Planted a new strawberry bed and ran the soil-miller between some exisitng crops as well as over bare soil to freshen it up.

The plot looks better and I feel happier. No watch so I was surprised to find it was 6:50 when I arrived home - shows daylight hours are lengthening.  :happy:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Half a plot man

• Experienced Member
« Reply #737 on: March 20, 2011, 20:02 »
Couldn;t get up the plot this weekend  :(, two kiddies birthday parties to attend and teething baby  >:(, but now the evenings are light i can get up after work for an hour evry night  :happy:

Flump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #738 on: March 20, 2011, 21:27 »
Started at 8, came home for an hour to wave the OH off then straight back round, might have another stint after ive eaten. So far, digging and weeding, weeding and digging, do you see a pattern here? All around me the nice weather had brought everyone onto their plots and they're busy rotovating whilst old slothful here plods on slowly feeling a geet nump.

Did manage to get a good amount done apart from the digging: composted, turned the muck heap, planted 100 Stuttgart onions and some more garlic and got 3 new fence posts cemented in in prep for getting the fence back up. After all this exertion and weight loss i think i'll treat mesel' to a ruby tonight.

Digging and more digging , I too have rotovator 'envy' as my husband calls it ! ::)

snowdrops

« Reply #739 on: March 20, 2011, 21:36 »
Yesterday I went & did some 'muck' spreading on the 2 beds for potatoes having dug out the couch grass roots from along the path on plot no1,did a bit of chatting & then back home to at last sow sow some seeds of 3 types of toms,beetroot,parsnips in toilet roll middles,chillies,leeks & broad beans.
I had wanted to do some more seeds today but ended up helping our son clear some of his garden in  to the brown bin ready for recycling tomorrow & then encouraging Mr S to put the last new fence panel in & put all the cappings on so I could tiffle the ground he'd walked on, before cutting the grass.Mr S said he'd get the mower out for me & then he cut the grass with me trimming the edges. You forget the difference it makes, when the grass has been cut. All in all a lovely weekend. Only 2 1/2 days at work & then I'm off for 11 1/2 days  :lol:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

MJS

• Winner - favourite sunflower photo of 2011
« Reply #740 on: March 20, 2011, 21:42 »
this weekend we have, laid weed membrane down and covered some of it with bark for a chill out area. Fenced off the veg plot, so the dogs can be safe as well as the veg when up there with us. Oh, and spent hours in the sunshine taking barrowloads of horse manure to the back of the plot, kindly donated by a farmer. The pile (a small load, he said), was over five feet high and very wide! :lol: Also went round to neighbours plot for some slabs they gave to us for the base of our shed.
i think I will have very short legs and long arms that scrape the floor after all this labour! :unsure:

Rich

• The carrot has mystery. Flowers are tarts for bees
« Reply #741 on: March 20, 2011, 21:43 »
Digging and more digging , I too have rotovator 'envy' as my husband calls it ! ::)
It will feel all the sweeter when its our turn to rotovate safe in the knowledge that we've paid our weeding dues and arent distributing perennial weeds around the beds.  :)

Went back to a what was a very quiet site after all the morning activity and did a little more digging and sowed Tigerella, Golden Sunset, Gardeners Choice, Red Pear, Fiorentino and Marzano toms, Musselburgh leeks and Green Calabrese.

witchwoopiggy

« Reply #742 on: March 20, 2011, 22:03 »
not sure if it is ok to talk about garden plots here, if im in the wrong place then please let me know, thank you  :)

well been dry here so spent the day trying to sort out a 4-5 foot deep boarder under my frountroom window, sadly it was over grown with ramsons and they were chocker, so ive reascued the few plants i put in there 2 years ago, golden rod, and a poor lavender, devieded a 3 foot clump of irises and replanted around the garden. Rescued my grape vine and replanted that in the back garden next to the rose arch, freecycled phesents berry bushes x2 and hardy fushia, that a prevous tentent had planted right at the frount of the boarder, they had really over growen the space. Still got about a third of the boarder to do even though ive been at it all day will be so pleased when i fill the boarder up with my hubbys fav flower marigolds got 6 diffent types growing from seed on the window stiles indoors and im going to plant my amaranths (mixed grain) in there, so will have flowers and color but it will still be part edable

andy135

« Reply #743 on: March 20, 2011, 22:18 »

well been dry here so spent the day trying to sort out a 4-5 foot deep boarder under my frountroom window,

4-5 foot deep? That's a fair bit of digging..............?  :lol:

witchwoopiggy

« Reply #744 on: March 20, 2011, 22:30 »

well been dry here so spent the day trying to sort out a 4-5 foot deep boarder under my frountroom window,

4-5 foot deep? That's a fair bit of digging..............?  :lol:

:lol: :lol: felt it  :D

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #745 on: March 21, 2011, 07:56 »
First day of spring! :D :D :D :D :D :D shame im at school :( ::)
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

Junie

« Reply #746 on: March 21, 2011, 08:29 »
Yesterday - pulled so much couch grass out of my potato patch before planting - I could not believe how much seeing as I dug it all over in the autumn - guess I did not do a very good job!!!
also painted an old french door that we found in the barn when we moved in, for the lid for a cold frame.
Today - plan to tdo another coat and some more digging and couch crunching!

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #747 on: March 21, 2011, 09:34 »
Got my first row of spuds in  :) Plan to do 2 rows a week starting this week so they will all be planted in 3 weeks.
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

Jome

• Experienced Member
    • Blog
« Reply #748 on: March 21, 2011, 14:02 »
I'm ill with flu so can't do anything, just moping around here... :wacko:

Thrift

« Reply #749 on: March 21, 2011, 14:19 »
Poor you Jome. Flu is horrid ..... take it easy and have a hot whisky  :)

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2013

Started by Paul Plots on Grow Your Own

2699 Replies
Last post December 31, 2013, 19:40
by snowdrops
xx
What I did on the plot today 2019

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

143 Replies
Last post January 07, 2020, 14:33
by JayG

Page created in 0.295 seconds with 30 queries.