What I did on the plot today - 2011

• 2810 Replies

SkipRat

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2011
« Reply #705 on: March 19, 2011, 12:56 »
Had a lazy morning chillaxin in the sun, then this afternoon a few beers and off to watch Hull City V Norwich,  :D :D :D
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #706 on: March 19, 2011, 13:16 »
I laid some weed fabric down over the rough grass under the lavender hedge, before it gets too weedy and horrible, like last year.

Raked a small bed over, and checked if the peas were up...no sign yet :( Sowed a few greyhound cabbage in the greenhouse.

Starting on the garden beds this afternoon :)

Christo

• Spring has Sprung!
« Reply #707 on: March 19, 2011, 13:40 »
Such a beautiful day. Sowed my first salads today. Felt so nice to be getting back into the swing. Heading to the allotment later to get my onions in. Might wait a bit before putting the potatoes in. Still a bit of a risk of frost down here. Happy days.  :D

samfan

« Reply #708 on: March 19, 2011, 16:11 »
Visited my plot for the first time to do some work today.  There is a big soil mountain on it, so I've made inroads to getting rid of that.

I rotorvated it as well, on the advice of other plotholders (round the soil mound), so once that is totally away, I'll do it again.

It will take a long time to get things the way I want them, but I'll get there.  :D

missmenace

« Reply #709 on: March 19, 2011, 16:17 »
This morning I assembled a cloche/coldframe type thing that I had liberated from my parents and sowed some french marigold and poached egg plant seeds that I plan to plant around the edges of my slab path (so that it looks like the gaps were intentional ;) ).

Then I mostly sat and drank coffee and enjoyed the sun on my face. :D

Rich

• The carrot has mystery. Flowers are tarts for bees
« Reply #710 on: March 19, 2011, 16:37 »
Heard the distinctive chug of the dumper truck making its way to the allotments so i changed into my allotmenteering outfit (old band t-shirt, boots and jogging bottoms) and bowled on over to the plot. I must have heard the dumper leaving as i arrived to find a ton of horse muck and no sign of the guy, hopefully i'll catch up with him to settle up tomorrow.
So after moving a ton of manure i continued where i left off yesterday, weeding and digging and digging and weeding anon etc.

WhiteWolf

• Experienced Member
  • The Bald One
« Reply #711 on: March 19, 2011, 17:45 »
We also spent our first official day at the Lotty today, actually doing stuff and not just standing there thinking, "What have we done"  :lol:

Dug over a 12' x 20' patch (we will pay for that later) and raked over a second area again 12' x 20'.

Still so much to do, but we know to take it very steady and build up to things.

To put things into perspective, this is the same size as our back garden  :ohmy:

The Wolfies
(As I wasn't doing this on my own  :D)
Every day I live with fear,,,,, sometimes she lets me out to play

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits

dexyblue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #712 on: March 19, 2011, 18:22 »
more weeding along the perimiter,sowed some Marigolds, nasturtians and cucumber today.
Had a coffee and sat with the sun on my face  8)
I came I saw I grew my own veg

Malturn

• Pens and Platters
« Reply #713 on: March 19, 2011, 18:29 »
More digging and pulling out miles of MARESTAIL :mad:
Malcolm
The worm that turned

suziet88

• Experienced Member
« Reply #714 on: March 19, 2011, 19:41 »
What a lovely, lovely day.  Only popped down to lottie for half an hour but managed to plant some broad beans which were getting too big for their loo tubes in the conservatory and then put some fleece over another bed ready for some early planting soon.

weirdsowing

« Reply #715 on: March 19, 2011, 19:58 »
I weeded the raised beds containing the over wintered onions, garlic, spinach and cabbages. Burnt the branches from the trees my husband pruned. Planning to cut some leaves from the spinach in the week  this will be the first veg we have harvested from our plot.

sachkrimbo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #716 on: March 19, 2011, 20:13 »
Mowed the lawn and saved grass cuttings for mulch. Put dried tea and coffee around blueberries.  Mulched blueberries, peach tree and grape vine with some of said grass cuttings.  Poured over propogators for at least 30 minutes willing the seeds to germinate and up shoot 4 sweetcorn  :D  resisted sowing potato seeds cos of continuing frosts!

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #717 on: March 19, 2011, 20:42 »
Diverted the bath and bathroom sink drain pipes directly to the grid and diverted the drain pipe into a large Glass recycling bin that was spare Put a tap on it and an overflow just in case ;)

Baught another blackberry and some Raspberry canes and planted them where the others had died or I think they died  :D but I just moved them to an area that if they do regain some umph they will not be in the way.

Planted out the strawberry runner I bought the other day not covered it fingers crossed the frost don't come back.

Dug in the ash from the bonfire I had the other day and will hopefully get some of the veg seeds in tomorrow before I go back to work tomorrow evening :( :(

Anyway all jobs done now fingers crossed that the veg do OK for my first time  :nowink: :nowink:
The best way to learn to do something is to do something.

mashbintater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #718 on: March 19, 2011, 21:11 »
Planted 6 Kerr's Pink I was given & 16 Maris Peers yesterday. Planted a further 26  Maris Peers, 43 Pentland Javelin & 4 Ulster Prince (I was given to try) today  :)

Gandan57

« Reply #719 on: March 19, 2011, 21:18 »
First time on the plot today for nine days and things are certainly moving!

First sowing of broad beans are up, as are carrots under cloches and onion sets and shallots have grown an inch or two.

I`d previously put in two rows of early spuds and today I took out a trench between the rows, using the soil to earth up the potatoes. Then I filled the trench with some of the decaying autumn leaves I`d heaped up last year( now full of worms). On top of the leaves I heaped up barrow loads of heating up fresh horse manure thats brought onto the allotments by local stables.
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today 2018

Started by robinahood on Grow Your Own

355 Replies
Last post December 26, 2018, 17:48
by Offwego
xx
What I did on the plot today 2017

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

513 Replies
Last post December 27, 2017, 20:40
by Plot 1 Problems

Page created in 0.461 seconds with 38 queries.