Help - Allotment flooded!

• 2 Replies

ex-cavator

Help - Allotment flooded!
« on: May 08, 2012, 21:43 »
Due to a number of reasons I've been unable to get to my plot for the past few weeks and have been tearing my hair out worrying about not getting things started on time, in particular getting my spuds in.

I dropped by for a look today and was horrified to see it's completely waterlogged, though I felt a little less guilty when I saw that I am not alone - virtually none of the other plot holders have done anything either, and not a spud in sight! Just a few onions (which I've already got in) and broad beans.

If it wasn't for the water I'd be ready to go - all my winter ground prep was done and although the weeds are coming along nicely, I can soon put paid to them.

Question is, what should I do now? Even if I could get my spuds in, they'd probably rot in the ground, wouldn't they? Should I try, or leave it in the hope the water will recede?

What else is worth sowing / planting with the ground as it is (apart from rice)  :lol:

prikay

Re: Help - Allotment flooded!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 21:51 »
If they can grow tea in Yorkshire, don't see why you can't grow rice in Oxfordshire  :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Help - Allotment flooded!
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 07:27 »
Wait until the water recedes a bit, as if you try to work liquid mud you'll do more harm than good.

One of our local sites here in Reading floods badly every year now that there is a new water management system on the river - flooding allotments rather than houses I believe the rationale is there - and they all have raised beds to help drainage when the water goes down, as well as some with sumps around the edge filled with stones.

Might be worth considering  a plan to cope should this happen again next year.

In the meanwhile (except potatoes, which will be fine to wait a week or two more) you could start off most things in modules at home if you have the space
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Flooded Allotment

Started by Thamesmeadhammer on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 24, 2009, 13:59
by woodburner
xx
Allotment flooded- disater!

Started by jonewer on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 09, 2013, 17:53
by jonewer
question
flooded Plot With pictures 27 Feb 10

Started by Thamesmeadhammer on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 17:23
by HugglescoteGrower
xx
Contingencies for flooded plots

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 01, 2016, 20:39
by whitehill1

Page created in 0.302 seconds with 28 queries.