Putting a plot under fruit

• 21 Replies

gillie

Re: Putting a plot under fruit
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2010, 09:26 »
I use a lot of manure in my fruit cage because as we keep horses that is what I have!  The soil is wonderfully soft and crumbly and weeds pull up easily.  I guess compost would do as well, but it would be difficult to make enough. 

Suggestion:  Why don't you sow a bed of clover  for cutting and making compost and one of strawberries.  After a few years when the strawberries start to weaken swop them over.

Trikidiki

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2010, 23:10 »
Years ago Bob Flowerdew was planting fruit trees and underplanted with chives. I seem to remember it was supposed to deter some pests and also encouraged bees.

I have two 'freestanding' espalier apples which have been underplanted with chives for years ( funny how you do something and can't exactly remember why you did it). They are both cropping well, neither have ever been fed or mulched.

I've just planted a 8' x 2' bed with 3 blackcurrants and have planted around them with daffodils for a bit of spring colour. I will probably put crocuses in the red currant bed next door to it and maybe tulips under the gooseberries.

Zippy

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2010, 23:37 »
I like the clover and strawberry swap-over beds suggestion gillie. I think I would use a Red Clover as it is an annual and would be easier to clear on the swap over year; White Clover would be a nightmare!

As for compost being difficult to get enough - not a problem for me as I have made connections with a lot of folks around here with field mowings they have more than they will ever want and I have a shredder to chip up tree prunings and tough perennials. The grass and shreddings make a great compost along with our own veg waste and coffee grounds from a local surfers cafe.

The way I see it is if it takes THIS MUCH plant material to feed an animal THIS SIZE to get THIS MUCH poo, then it makes sense to garden without manure and compost it all!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2010, 09:54 »
The way I see it is if it takes THIS MUCH plant material to feed an animal THIS SIZE to get THIS MUCH poo, then it makes sense to garden without manure and compost it all!

Manure makes a bit more sense if you are into horse-riding, drinking milk or eating rump steak though!  ::)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Zippy

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2010, 11:29 »
That's true until you drop a ton of manure on you plot that is laced with ammo - but that's been covered elsewhere I'm sure.

gillie

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2010, 12:09 »
Nobody keeps animals just for what comes out at the other end!  The manure is a by-product which needs putting to good use - just like the coffee grounds really!

So far as the ammo- whatsit is concerned I am as careful as I can be - I feed the horses and know where the horse feed comes from.  My maturing heaps grow very healthy stinging nettles so I assume they are not contaminated.

Zippy

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2010, 14:57 »
Each to their own and of herbivorous animals used by man, horses are the least likely to be exploited compared to the meat and animal products industry if well monitored so my preference would be to know the persons looking after the animals and the source of their feed and bedding and to stick with what I know.

I would personally never use manures sourced form the meat industry due to animal exploitation, but that is my personal choice and I am not soapboxing here.

If everyone were to go over to producing their own vegetables there would not be sufficient animal manures to go round so acre for acre it would make more sense to grow green manures and compost them direct or incorporate them onto the ground as mulches for worms to work over.

But hey - this is another topic.

xx
What are you putting on your Christmas table from the plot?

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 20, 2008, 07:24
by DD.
xx
Fruit trees for the plot.

Started by Denno17 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 10, 2009, 08:58
by Dane End
xx
Planning a brand new fruit plot

Started by Kajazy on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post September 29, 2011, 21:37
by Growster...
xx
What Fruit Trees Do You Grow On Your Plot?

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

42 Replies
Last post March 26, 2011, 21:17
by SkipRat

Page created in 0.361 seconds with 34 queries.