Cover vacant beds?

• 6 Replies

tallgingerbloke

Cover vacant beds?
« on: November 15, 2010, 20:21 »
Hi,

One of my beds is now clear and weeded and I am not planning to plant in it now till April 'ish (Leeks), would it be a good idea to cover it over until I need it ?

....just trying to keep the weeds down

Thanks

TGB
Thinking of calling my shed "the Dun Inn".

Nikkithefoot

Re: Cover vacant beds?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 20:28 »
Personally I would if you have cardboard or membrane to cover it. Plastic is ok too but no rain will get through so it will be incredibly dry by spring.

There are conflicting views about using carpet, consensus suggests its probably best not to use old carpet if you can possibly avoid it due to the potential for toxins to be released as it breaks down, but only you can decide if you wish to.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Trikidiki

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 22:10 »
I would say it depends on your soil.

Clay holds onto nutrients quite well and the frost would help break it up.

Sand will have nutrients leached out by winter rains so you may be better off covering it.

Anything in between make you're best guess.

I read an article the other day which was talking about 'salts' building up in the soil (more particularly in a greenhouse)due to the use of artificial fertilisers, these salts then cause an imbalance in the soil which prevents plants taking up water, the plants can therefore die from lack of water although the soil is damp. By exposing the soil to winter rain those salts are washed out of the soil. A good case for leaving uncoered if you use a lot of artificial fertilisers.

viettaclark

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 22:20 »
There is also the problem of slugs over-wintering under any cover and leaving eggs in the soil.....
I manure (well-rotted) then use plastic for a couple of weeks in the Spring to warm up the bed before planting.

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 09:28 »
I've covered some of mine up. One large area with black sheet membrane which slugs don't like as it's rough, and I've never noticed a slug problem with it.  Three beds covered in a thick layer of muck.  You can only do as far as you have coverings for but the local electric shop usually has fresh cardboard available and I find that it keeps weeds down and will last a season before it disappears into the soil. 

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 10:42 »
I am a fan of not covering the beds, I feel if you make the beds nice and snug, then all the pests will be nice and snug.
I have very sandy soil, bit like Blackpool beach down the road, we have no problems with rain washing nutrients away (tropical climate  8)) we just chuck our muck etc in the spring rather than the winter.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Christine

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 19:44 »
....just trying to keep the weeds down

If late annual weeds appear with any luck the cold weather will kill them off. If periennial stuff appears well you can clear it out before the start of the growing season.

In other words, any weeds that you can get rid of now won't be a problem in the growing season.

And any that appear before you plant up in April or thereabouts can be taken out before you plant up and then have the bother of weeding in between crops.

I'm not one for putting off weeds till next growing season if I have the chance of dealing with them when it's not such a busy time of the year.

xx
Best material to cover resting beds

Started by ptarmigan on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 29, 2019, 22:17
by Hobovore
xx
Do I need to cover empty raised beds

Started by jmc1949 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post October 26, 2011, 11:15
by jmc1949
xx
Vacant plots available

Started by muckshifter on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 30, 2011, 11:37
by billathome65
xx
To cover or not to cover... that is the question!

Started by AndyRVTR on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post November 13, 2023, 12:21
by Aidy

Page created in 0.811 seconds with 28 queries.