life after potatoes

• 9 Replies

sam51

life after potatoes
« on: June 10, 2015, 18:49 »
hi all. just started to dig up my spuds.
very nice indeed. this area is reserved for my brassicas,
after all the spuds are gone.
I was thinking to put the brassicas in now as I the spuds are dug up.
so I get my winter veg.
is this the way to go, or do I leave the ground, and put black plastic down to stop the weeds.
thanks sam.

Beetroot Queen

Re: life after potatoes
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 19:46 »
Leeks will follow mine and cabbages, maybe if I sow some lol there maybe a gap

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 23:51 »
Cabbages for me too
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 07:16 »
I used to do leeks but found it was a bit late to put them in, this year I've put them elsewhere so this year I don't know I hadn't given it any thought & this has just made me think. At the rate I'm going it might be my squash empire or some extra French beans & lettuce.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 07:44 »
It depends how continuously you have been growing a crop in that area.  I do plant winter brassicas in ground that comes spare over the summer, but is it good to let some bits have a break.

As an alternative to immediately covering with black plastic, you could sow a green manure crop.  There are summer mixes to sow now which can be dug in over the autumn  :)

ptarmigan

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 11:06 »
I'm planning to put PSB and Sprouts in when the spuds come out.  I have seriously run out of space!

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 14:30 »
Funny we were chatting abut this last night, I generally work with 4 beds so once the spuds are up nothing other than a few salad bits goes in as brassicas have their own bed.

This year I have built a spring onion cage which is proving incredibly good and my thought now is to build several smaller versions so that as the new spuds are being dug I can plant more spring onions (eat tons of them) so for me now that is what is following on.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

madcat

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2015, 11:05 »
It depends how continuously you have been growing a crop in that area.  I do plant winter brassicas in ground that comes spare over the summer, but is it good to let some bits have a break.

As an alternative to immediately covering with black plastic, you could sow a green manure crop.  There are summer mixes to sow now which can be dug in over the autumn  :)

That is my plan.  My spuds are all second earlies and in the past I have waited the leeks for the space, but it is too late for them really and the leeks dont thrive.  I've tried following with brassicas but the ground isnt firm enough by the time it has been thoroughly dug for the spuds so they dont do well.

So this year I have a couple of marrows just by the first row to come up, which can trail into that space and the rest will go to green manure.  There is green manure on the space for the leeks, which will be dug in when they are ready to plant out.  Lets see how it works out.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 17:52 »
I follow first earlies with leeks, which are happily growing in deep trays at the moment, and second earlies with winter brassicas like kale, and Spring cabbage too. The ground is well firmed and has chicken manure pellets and BFB added, plus a cage to keep out late white butterflies.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 17:53 by sunshineband »
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2015, 06:44 »
We're looking to plant out kohlrabi and radicchio in the beds after the first and second earlies have gone.

Also we'll be sowing more carrots where we have a few spare yards!

We've already blown part of our plan this year, by making two beds over to pumpkins for the grandchildren, and hopefully the rest of the county...

xx
Pink Fir Apple potatoes - life simply doesn't get better

Started by brendit on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post February 23, 2007, 15:41
by Aidy
xx
Where There's Life..........

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 04, 2008, 12:50
by iwantanallotment
xx
It's changed my life...

Started by Pompey Spud on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 02, 2011, 06:33
by Growster...
xx
its a wonderfull life

Started by rem858 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 27, 2009, 10:01
by Steve.B

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 35 queries.