WASPS

• 44 Replies

mr Isaccs

• Experienced Member
Re: WASPS
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2009, 20:24 »
Like that one Maveric, I sure get fitter in summer lol :lol: :lol:
I'm banned for being obnoxious (not pompous as you might have thought)

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2009, 23:22 »
I have a wasp nest near to my runners - apart from quite a few wizzzing about they dont seem to bother me.  The nest is in the ground - I have watched them several times busily dashing in  and out....   
Death OR Cake ???

Lady Lottie

• I love Hugh Fearnley Wearnley... :o))))
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2009, 23:42 »
I wouldn't like to see tham all wiped out as they do actually predate on a lot of other garden pests but they do get slaughtered if they come in the house  ::)

I've just read on this site http://www.insectstings.co.uk/sting-acid-or-alkali.shtml (hope it's ok to put it on here, please dlete it if it's not) that neither acid nor alkali have any effects on stings at all so it doesn't matter that I've had it back to front all this time  :blink:

So THAT'S what they are for! :D ::)  I've often wondered what purpose wasps serve, other than to completely freak people out and be generally annoying and horrid.  I've never been stung and am quite happy to let them hang around until they get bored and just go away.  But my OH complete freaks.  All you hear is, "Whizzer!!!!!!"  and he's gone, arms flapping, ducking and dodging and generally bugging out.  I guess I might be joining him if I'd been a previous victim too.  Having said all that - I honestly haven't seen that many this year!

Btw - my sympathies NicktheGreek..........sounds really awful.... :(
"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves." - Mahatma Gandhi

"Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration." - Lou Erickson, cartoonist and illustrator

tode

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2009, 09:50 »
If you've got any fruit nearby, its agood idea to keep collecting any that fall and get rid of them. Half rotten fruit brings wasps from miles around.
They love our blackberries, so we always pick the ones that are squidgy and dispose of them.

alan bell

« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2009, 12:12 »
I too hate wasps, and getting rid of fallen fruit is a good idea; except that we have a nest in a pile of turf at the foot of a pear tree; and the wasps won't let us get near the fruit!
If we can survive, I think keeping well clear and waiting until they die off and then clearing the nesting site is probably the best idea.
We have a couple of old pear trees that we don't eat fruit of, tempted to get rid; hate drunks generally!

tode

« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2009, 12:23 »
Much better to get nest destroyed now. If you leave it, the females will leave before winter, hibernate over winter, and each will start a new nest next year.  >:(
Just a little tip: I found 7 sleeping hornets in my pile of old Council compost this Spring: watch out when you're loading compost   :ohmy:

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2009, 14:37 »
we think we have a nest somewhere, we have a line of plum trees which have been covered in wasps for weeks, also we regularly see wasps on the wooden gates stealing the wood to make a nest.  OH works in an industry that uses thermal imaging cameras, we will use one to try to find the nest which will show up hot.  Hopefully it will be accessible and we will get rid of it.
Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

tode

« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2009, 16:32 »
The nests here are often in the "lawn", in a dryish place. Only once had one in a dead tree (and they were hornets, I think.
Our last nest was only a hole as big as little finger, but the nest xas the size of a volley ball.

Greengirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2009, 16:43 »
I have a Waspinator - it's supposed to resemble a wasp's nest & as they are territorial they keep away. I must say it does work to a certain extent, I can sit in the garden with a glass of wine & they don't bother me, but I have mine hanging in my apple tree & they are still munching on the fruit, although not in huge numbers.

goodegg

« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2009, 17:48 »
any petrol will do but not diesel

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2009, 18:25 »
seriously, be careful with petrol, I knew someone who died through the burns suffered after trying to get a bonfire going with petrol.  :(

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2009, 21:14 »
Just remembered something they said on BBC news Breakfast the other day: you blow up a brown paper bag, tie it with string and hang it under a roof or somewhere - it's supposed to look like a wasp nest and keeps other wasps at bay. Might be worth a try but may not last long in the rain.
Rachael

bradberry

« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2009, 21:33 »
I have a wasp's nest in my "dalek" compost bin on the allotment.  Luckily I noticed that there were a lot of wasps around it and seemed to be even more if I went near so I've been giving it a wide berth for a few weeks.

Yesterday I noticed that all was quiet around the bin so I carefully took off the lid and sure enough there was a very large nest tucked into the side but no sign of any wasps.  I've read up on them and it seems that towards the end of the season the wasps are looking for any source of sugar that they can get to keep up their energy levels until they die and this is when they can get aggressive.  Only the queen is left and she hibernates until spring when she makes a new nest.  Apparently they never reuse a nest.

johnfh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2009, 22:06 »
We had a nest (in an old mouse hole in the ground) in the garden but OH thought they were the imitation ones.  She decided to squash one by the nest to examine it more closely.  Yes they really do send an attack signal to the rest and squadrons of them come for you! I got stung twice and she got three before we made it to the very nearby safety of the house. 

Tried a foam spray after dark that evening but they were still very very active the next day.  Then found a powder (after searching several stores) and this has wiped them out very effectively. Seems a shame really but after getting stung I am not quite so sympahetic!
John

Greengirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2009, 16:46 »
Ant powder will kill wasps too.

xx
wasps

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 07, 2017, 22:02
by Salmo
xx
Wasps

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post July 27, 2013, 17:04
by pavery026
xx
Wasps

Started by robinahood on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 23, 2018, 10:41
by DHM
xx
Wasps

Started by milan on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 05, 2009, 19:49
by milan

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 36 queries.