WASPS

• 44 Replies

pawsnclaws

• Experienced Member
    • my web site
Re: WASPS
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2009, 18:38 »
this was in the peterborough evening telegraph the boy is in my sons class at school poor little thing there seems to be so many around this year

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/Boy-10-rescued-from-wasp.5580062.jp

nickthegreek

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2009, 19:40 »
Rang the coucil today they said they would try and get it sorted and ring me back no phone call then 4 o clock someone from pest control rang me and said he would meet me at my plot for 5 not bad on there behalf !! he then stuck on his bee keeper suit told me to stay well back and sprayed them with a co2 gun filled with a powder they then take the powdr into the nest and it kills them all !!!

so hopefully now I can dig in piece !!

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2009, 23:01 »
I fear I have a nest in or around my compost heap, there were tonnes of the b*ggers yesterday, had to shoo my little girl away pronto as they were getting a bit feisty.

Me too, whenever I open my compost bin they seem to be all over the place, but I don't want to hang around long enough to find out where they are coming from. Hoping they are just attracted by something in the compost bin and not actually nesting in/around it.  :unsure:
Rachael

peterjf

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2009, 01:09 »
wasps eat the plums , drink the sugar from the plums and get drunk , become aggresive,

sounds a few young people in darkest east yorkshire

rub the stings with neat malt vinegar

BobandJack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2009, 07:37 »
I thought it was bicarbonate of soda for a wasp sting & vinegar for a bee sting?  Wasps are a sort of evolved ant so what they're stinging you with is I suppose a modified formic acid, so the logic is that the alakaline of bicarb would neutralise it.
I walked on a wasps nest a few years ago, luckily I was wearing a thick, baggy track suit so the fabric took most of the stings, but I was covered in them.  It was purely terrifying. I still got a couple of stings & they hurt like hell, one arm swelled up so much I looked like Popeye.  It still makes me shudder to think about it.

beansticks

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2009, 08:05 »
I thought it was bicarbonate of soda for a wasp sting & vinegar for a bee sting?  Wasps are a sort of evolved ant so what they're stinging you with is I suppose a modified formic acid, so the logic is that the alakaline of bicarb would neutralise it.
I walked on a wasps nest a few years ago, luckily I was wearing a thick, baggy track suit so the fabric took most of the stings, but I was covered in them.  It was purely terrifying. I still got a couple of stings & they hurt like hell, one arm swelled up so much I looked like Popeye.  It still makes me shudder to think about it.

No Petrjf is right,it's vinegar for a wasp sting.I keep small catering sachets in my shed down the plot.

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2009, 08:12 »
It was on the news this morning, worse year for wasps in a long time.  If you annoy them they give off a pheremone to get back up from their mates!  The vinegar idea is based on fact, but doesn't do much to take the pain away apparently.  They can also leave a sting in you if they sting you really hard, you should scrape it out with your finger nail or a credit card, don't grasp it with tweezers or you will squeeze more venom into you.
Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

pawsnclaws

• Experienced Member
    • my web site
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2009, 09:47 »
i personaly ting the goverment should spray the whole of the world with wasp killer that does not kill anything else so get rid pf the blinking things lol   :tongue2:.....................alright i know really it is not possible but i can only hope and wish

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2009, 10:13 »
my son said that the other day, I told him to be a scientist when he grows up, he can make that his life's work :D

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2009, 13:16 »
The resident doc on BBC news this morning recommended anti-histamine cream (or tablets) if stung unless your throat starts to swell in which case medical attention is urgently required!

The pest controllers said this was the best (i.e. worst) year for wasps for 10 years. Having had my present garden for 10 years I can vouch for this; this is the first year I've seen them here.

I'm not a wasp flapper/dancer but even I had to escape indoors the other day as one of them seemed to take a particular fancy to me; hopefully just short-sighted rather than ill-intentioned!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 14:44 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2009, 14:07 »
I'm not a wasp flapper/dancer but even I had to escape indoors the other day as one of them seemed to take a particular fancy to me; hopefully just short-sighted rather than
ill-intentioned!

I bet it was ill intentioned, ALL wasps are full of ill intention, Nasty Nasty things

BobandJack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2009, 14:45 »
I wouldn't like to see tham all wiped out as they do actually predate on a lot of other garden pests but they do get slaughtered if they come in the house  ::)

I've just read on this site http://www.insectstings.co.uk/sting-acid-or-alkali.shtml (hope it's ok to put it on here, please dlete it if it's not) that neither acid nor alkali have any effects on stings at all so it doesn't matter that I've had it back to front all this time  :blink:
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 14:51 by BobandJack »

pumpkinpatch

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2009, 14:49 »
i got stung on my ear today when i was by the raspberry >:( i have nothink els to say but argh i hate wasps  >:(

senrab_nhoj

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2009, 15:12 »
The other half and I were out for a walk on Sunday when a bloke stops us on the path and warns us off going up the track.

Him and his mate were walking up that way which is just out of a public car park and they were stung from what appeared to be a wasp nest. he was so startled he dropped his car keys.....

... that was 10 mins before we got there and how much he tried to get the keys back the wasps would attack him and drive him back..... 

.. they refused any help but were gone when we came back about an hour later...... god knows what state he was in when he finally got his keys....
Grandpa's lore: The only thing grown early is disappointment

maverick

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2009, 15:19 »
Wasps are my pet hate too,
you should see me in a pub beer garden,
running around arms flailing, squealing like a girl,
i get some pretty funny looks but i cant help it, i just panic,
give me an angry dog to calm, or a huge spider to rehouse and im fine,

:lol: :lol: That's me all over! I call it the sprinting season  :lol:

xx
Wasps

Started by robinahood on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 23, 2018, 10:41
by DHM
xx
Wasps

Started by milan on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 05, 2009, 19:49
by milan
xx
Wasps

Started by Eristic on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post September 30, 2006, 17:39
by Ian_P
xx
Wasps?

Started by Siouxfly on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post May 29, 2010, 16:51
by raisedbed

Page created in 0.806 seconds with 38 queries.