safe enclosure advice

• 3 Replies

youngnewbie

safe enclosure advice
« on: September 20, 2011, 23:36 »
Hello all,

I'm new to all this chicken keeping, have done plenty of research before taking the plunge, but no going back now.
Picked up my 4 hybrid girls (18weeks ish) on Sunday, they have been kept in the coop and adjoined run for 2 days. Did the wing clipping bit on the advice of the breeder, all went ok....and let them scratch around in the larger run(12ft x 8ft ish).
Thought that by putting the coop(with adjoined run) in the larger enclosure, they can be kept in the small run whilst were out at work, then let out to roam the larger enclosure when were home...
Little did I know that they would jump/flap their way onto the roof of the hen house and look longingly at the top of the 7ft chk wire fencing...
What have I done wrong? too small enclosure or not clipped wing enough? chose adventurous chooks? HELP!

Sassy

Re: safe enclosure advice
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 08:01 »
I'm sure they are just investigating and the grass is always greener on the other side. If they were battery hens they would only have a fraction of the space you are offering. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 10:11 »
Give them lots of things to jump onto & walk under and perch on in the run - pallets work well for constructing an interesting play area - so inside the run continues to offer challenges.

It won't entirely cure the problem - they all want to go that little bit further, clipped wings or no - but it might help.
ManicMum

Casey76

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 12:44 »
Even wing clipped (you did only do the one side, right?) a hybrid hen can still flutter up and over 4 or 5 feet, especially if they have something to dig their toes into ;)

No matter how much space you give your chooks it will never be enough, and they will always pace the fence - but only when you are watching lol.

My flock (about 14 LF hens/pullets I think) have over 100sqm to range about in, but they always squash themselves along the fence looking as pathetic as possible when I go into the garden or on the terrace!

xx
covering the enclosure?

Started by Dannii on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post June 24, 2008, 19:10
by henpecked
xx
Bedmax for enclosure?

Started by Dannii on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 11, 2008, 16:30
by dawnsmith
xx
enclosure size

Started by lightyears on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 09, 2009, 19:02
by Foxy
xx
chicken enclosure

Started by snow white on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 27, 2015, 15:29
by snow white

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 29 queries.