Bedmax for enclosure?

• 5 Replies

Dannii

Bedmax for enclosure?
« on: June 09, 2008, 22:18 »
Hiya!

Been trying to source some wood chippings for a few days now, went to my local country shop (equestrian/shooting centre) and they recommended Bedmax which is very large wood shavings that is used for foals, I wondered if any of you used this product for either your chickens/horses and could give me your opinion if it would be suitable for a non covered chicken enclosure instead of wood chippings?

Thanks!!

Dannii

ps. enclosure built now, just waiting for the coop to finish being built from the poultry centre! trying to be patient!!

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
Bedmax for enclosure?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 12:13 »
Hi Dannii, I use the shavings from the "horsey" section in the shop so probably the same. I've used them for yars and no problem. They do take a little longewr to compost down but the end result is fine!

It's also good to be abe to get a big bale of them so they last for ages.

Judi

dawnsmith

Bedmax for enclosure?
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 15:55 »
Do you know Crews Hill? It's towards Brookmans Park / Cuffly Camp

It's worth a visit - but be warned it gets realy busy at the weekends - loads of garden centres - Garden Centre heaven infact  :D

The bags are something like £3 each, and you could fill your car up so you won't have to return too often  :roll:

I have heard people say the get wood chips from their local council, but I've never tried so I don't know how successful that'd be.
Dawn
x

si-mate

• Experienced Member
Bedmax for enclosure?
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 15:57 »
Bedmax is similar to regular shavings except its a larger flake because it's actually made from virgin timber rather than being a byproduct of the timber industry.

Dannii

Bedmax for enclosure?
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 22:02 »
Thanks everyone!

Dawn, I know crews hill well, we used to live about 10 mins away, and also my sis used to work in one of the garden centres. Do you know where about you get the wood chips from is it Jolly's? Such a good shop but always end up near tears when I leave due to all those poor puppies in there!! :o(. All my family still live in that area so I could hopefully work my charm and get them to bring it up :o)

Thanks!

Dannii

dawnsmith

Bedmax for enclosure?
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 16:30 »
Hi Dannii
No, not Jolly's - stay away it'll cost you a fortune!!
As you drive up the main road, on the left is Wyvale and Phoenix Rose (used to be the Chelsea gardener) Somewhere along there - sorry can't say where exactly  - is a place like a yard. They have great piles of stuff like woodchips and bark - infact the first heap by the road is the stuff we use. We usually buy a few bags, but only put one or two down in the run at a time.
Take loads of money if you go - you know you'll spend it  :D

xx
enclosure size

Started by lightyears on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 09, 2009, 19:02
by Foxy
xx
chicken enclosure

Started by snow white on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 27, 2015, 15:29
by snow white
xx
covering the enclosure?

Started by Dannii on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post June 24, 2008, 19:10
by henpecked
xx
safe enclosure advice

Started by youngnewbie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 21, 2011, 12:44
by Casey76

Page created in 0.668 seconds with 36 queries.