Stone chippings in chook run

• 9 Replies

Helenaj

Stone chippings in chook run
« on: September 19, 2011, 12:44 »
Hi everyone. I've mentioned on here before that my once grassy compound now looks like the Gobi Desert after my girls have had their run of it for the last 18 months. I was going to move them to my other compound to give a chance for the ground to recover (I was going to sanitise it as well), but this will not be an option this year. I live in Wales and as most of you know, we have torrential rain during most of the Autumn/Winter months (in Summer it also rains but the rain is warm!). Consequently, it is now the Gobi mud bath.

Most of it drains freely as there is a very gentle slope but right outside their coop there is a level area (about 15'x20') and it's this area that has become water logged - the mud can be over an inch deep in places which isn't very pleasant for my girls and it's dirtying the eggs. Plus, if you can imagine Torvil & Dean on mud rather than ice, that's what my husband and I look like when we go in there!

My question is - can I use stone chippings to cover this area as it will provide an excellent walkway for my girls. I was going to use the larger rounded type so as not to introduce anything sharp or anything small enough to be mistaken for a corn kernel.

I've tried wood chip and this has just sunk into oblivion....

Can anyone foresee any problems?

Skywise

Re: Stone chippings in chook run
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 13:47 »
I'm just down the road from you - well, okay, Llanelli - but I know what you mean about the constant rain . .  and we're on clay down here so drainage is pretty much non existent.

We've just finished laying the run to slabs with a 6 inch high border around it so we can, basically, fill it with wood chippings.

We've managed to locate some 2nd hand slabs (because it really doesn't matter if they're perfect or not as they'll be covered in wood chippings from hereon in) which have worked out really cheaply and laid them over "all in" gravel (to provide a relatively flat surface) then sand and cement to fix the slabs.

Hopefully (!) this should keep the floor of the run nice and clean and "unmuddy" whilst still allowing the rain to drain away behind the greenhouse.

I don't know if it would be practical for the size of run that you have (ours is only 10' x 10') but it seemed the best option to us.

Helenaj

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 15:48 »
Hi Skywise! We thought about slabbing but since the area isn't completely flat we thought the slabs would break, plus we have a few slabs approaching the compound and they all split last year because of the low temperatures during the Winter.

I think we may stick with the chippings just outside their coop and if that doesn't work I'll rake them to even out the lumps and bumps and then try slabbing.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 22:02 »
I'm afraid your stones will sink into the mud just like your wood chips did!  :(  I've been sitting here trying to think of a layer you could put under the stones to stop them sinking... weed mat?  Netting of some kind?  In the end the pavers might be the best option even if they do crack eventually.

I can't think of any disadvantages to the chickens of having round river pebbles to walk on.  Just that I don't think it will solve your problem.

viettaclark

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 23:03 »
Would it be feasible to cover the run?
I've used a huge tarpaulin from Wickes but our run has a metre high roof of wood/netting to drape it over. I weigh it down with roof tiles. Sometimes I'll remove it at one end to let sunshine or a bit of rain in to dampen it down.
This means I can use bark and natural leaf litter from the trees on earth which stays dry and they love digging and dust baths.. Then I move the whole caboodle of Eglu Cube and extended run (3m) twice a year to let the earth refresh.

Helenaj

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 08:28 »
Unfortunately, I don't have a run area that I can cover - their coop basically opens into a field and I would need to build a structure to put the tarpaulin on. Plus the winds we get are atrocious (60mph+ during the recent storm) that the tarpaulin probably wouldn't stay put anyway.
They have small field shelters dotted about so they can shelter from the rain when they are out and about, but we've thought of all ways to try and drain this area with no success. The only other thing we can think of is to install soak aways but since that involved large areas of gravel/chippings it amounts to the same thing anyway.

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 13:01 »
Could you dig a run-off channel between the bottom of the slope & the flat bit?  Not as complicated as a soakaway, but would lead excess rainwater clear.  Then it might be worth slabbing or chipping (on weed matting or similar) which could be a long-term project once the water runs somewhere else.
ManicMum

Helenaj

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 15:33 »
Could you dig a run-off channel between the bottom of the slope & the flat bit?  Not as complicated as a soakaway, but would lead excess rainwater clear.  Then it might be worth slabbing or chipping (on weed matting or similar) which could be a long-term project once the water runs somewhere else.

We did debate whether that was the way to go. We have three fine days coming up so hopefully it is something we can get to grips with the next few days after work. Otherwise my poor girls will have to be fitted with wellies and my little bantam Thuringians given a boat!

Sassy

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 08:15 »
Have you  considered ducks? :D
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Helenaj

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 13:04 »
Have you  considered ducks? :D

:D :D

xx
Help new chook owner -is my chook ill or broody?

Started by all chook up on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 13, 2007, 12:53
by slowef
xx
bark chippings

Started by Shazzer on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 03, 2007, 22:32
by slowef
xx
rubber chippings???

Started by Dawnuss on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 21, 2013, 16:06
by pepsi100
xx
Rubber chippings

Started by trinacooke on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 11, 2009, 06:17
by hillfooter

Page created in 0.264 seconds with 28 queries.