Best place to grow herbs?

• 7 Replies

samnorfolk

• Experienced Member
Best place to grow herbs?
« on: April 07, 2013, 03:06 »
Wheres the best place to grow herbs and rocket?? in pots im guessing??

Trillium

Re: Best place to grow herbs?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 03:35 »
Most herbs tend to prefer dry, not too rich locations so pots or stony, sunny areas are good for them.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 08:30 »
Rocket goes to seed very quickly, so you need to resow regularly to get a summer long supply.  I tend to grow it in the veg beds like lettuce.  I grow parsley and coriander the same way.

Permanent herbs like rosemary, sage and thyme like sunny, well drained soil as Trillium says.  Softer greener ones like chives and mint prefer a bit more moisture  :) 

You could grow your whole herb collection in pots if you want.  I use John Innes no. 2 for the permanent sun loving stuff.  Some are invasive like mint and lemon balm, so pots are a good way of containing them.  I have mint that I empty out of the pot every spring, cut a small piece off and replant that in multi-purpose compost  :)

samnorfolk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 08:58 »
ok great i have got a wooden container about a 3 ft long and a foot and a half deep, could this be used and would it be ok to plant some herbs together in it??

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 09:10 »
Perfick  :D

You could make a lovely herb garden in there.  Just keep the invasive ones in individual pots.  The rest will happily grow together.  You can mix John Innes no.2 and multi-purpose half and half to give a good compost.  Multi-purpose alone will be too wet over winter :)

samnorfolk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 14:40 »
Brilliant thanks so much when can i start planting them out shall i wait til the frost is over

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 16:13 »

Try and duplicate the conditions they grow in naturally,  i.e. a Greek hillside! :nowink:

Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 18:28 »
Brilliant thanks so much when can i start planting them out shall i wait til the frost is over

All the hardy woody ones like rosemary and thyme can go out now, assuming they have been hardened off.  If you are buying from a garden centre, bear in mind that some come in from the dutch and are grown a bit soft.  UK growers tend to treat them a bit meaner  ;) 

Softer green ones like mint will have been forced on as the garden stuff is not up yet, so treat them with more caution.  The annual ones like parsley and chervil are pretty tough, but will need some help until it warms up.  Coriander - hang on a few weeks. Really soft stuff like basil has to wait until it is much warmer.

If in doubt, chuck some fleece over on frosty nights - its what I am doing to my herbs at work (garden centre) and they are fine  :)

xx
What Herbs do you like to grow?

Started by Sheena on Grow Your Own

44 Replies
Last post June 07, 2007, 07:17
by Bagpuss
xx
best herbs to grow with your veggies

Started by tali on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 16, 2008, 23:33
by Trillium
xx
Neglected herbs start to grow

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 07, 2008, 22:05
by Beetroot queen
xx
herbs

Started by chrissie B on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post September 18, 2007, 20:41
by Annie

Page created in 0.303 seconds with 36 queries.