Raised bed potatoes

• 2 Replies

Mac Campbell

Raised bed potatoes
« on: March 01, 2019, 10:16 »
Hi -
I have added another two raised beds to my allotment purely to grow potatoes. I want to try the
" No Earthing up Method ". Once chitted I will plant my first earlies ( Maris Piper ). I intend to divide the first bed into 12 inch square modules and plant one chitted potato in each position roughly 4-5 inches deep. I intend to cut back to just three runners per spud.
Very similar for my main crop ( King Edddys ) cutting the runners back to just two per potato and making the modules 18 inches apart.
Has anyone here tried this method and if so with what type of success or failure ?
It might also be helpful if anyone can see what type of pitfalls or advantages it might bring.
This will obviously be a trial and error situation but would love to hear any valid comments.
My allotment is situated in the Cheshire region of the country.
Thank you in advance
Mac

greenjay

• Experienced Member
Re: Raised bed potatoes
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 18:01 »
A friend grew potatoes just dug in shallowly and covered with grass cuttings to exclude light. she did get a crop of small potatoes which she was chuffed about. personally I think with you planting them reasonable deep your many thing will be light exclusion to prevent green potatoes. I am a fine one to talk as I plant them on the flat and then hoe up soil as they grow. once they are quite big (the haulm) I tend to leave them to it and so far down the season I notice the odd green potato! Once they are green it is too late to cover as they don't loose the colour.

I have never restricted top growth. the less top growth the bigger the potato but less quantity I think. just don't hold me to that.

Give it a go see how you get on that's what I think its all about.

andreadon

• My Diary
Re: Raised bed potatoes
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 19:25 »
The first time I grew potatoes I didn't know about earthing up.
They grew fine and I got big enough potatoes.
But that was decades ago, so I have no idea whether it was a good amount or not.

xx
Raised bed Potatoes

Started by AndyRVTR on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 10, 2022, 10:02
by AndyRVTR
xx
Potatoes in raised beds.

Started by paul2004 on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post November 08, 2007, 14:19
by Trillium
xx
Potatoes in raised beds

Started by Vegpot on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 29, 2008, 16:09
by Trillium
xx
potatoes in raised beds

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post September 17, 2019, 09:11
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.302 seconds with 36 queries.