Planting Spuds & Manure

• 12 Replies

fatbelly

Planting Spuds & Manure
« on: January 04, 2011, 12:03 »
An old timer on our site has said that when he plants his spuds he puts manure in the bottom of the trench only and not spread all over the planting area.
I am used to spreading the muck everywhere and then planting, has anyone tried planting in a trench with manure at the bottom of it and no where else.
What were yields like?
Thanks in advance FB
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

Kleftiwallah

Re: Planting Spuds & Manure
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 14:24 »
That's just what my old Dad used to do.  So can't be that wrong !   :) Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

rowlandwells

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 15:00 »
my only answer fatbelly is from experience when we set spuds on the farm we would spread potato fertilizer on the ground  before planting on the lottie i don't spread any dung on the ground or in a trench as i was always told manure attracts slugs so i tend to grow my spuds on  brassicas  ground that was mucked the previous year :unsure:

i know my father in law used peat in trenches when setting his seed spuds and he always had good spuds on  his lottie but he was growing on light sandy soil myne is a bit on the heavy side  :mellow:

it will be interesting to see how many set there spuds this way because my crop was down last year without using potato fert :dry:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 15:55 »
I manure the bottom of my trenches, waste of manure doing the bit in between rows where nothing is growing.

I also throw in a sprinkling of slugs pellets, although I can't prove they do anything!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

fatbelly

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 16:11 »

I also throw in a sprinkling of slugs pellets, although I can't prove they do anything!

DD, last season I scattered some slug pellets in each trench and I had noticeably less slug damage on my spuds. It could also have been because we had a dry spring and early summer which helped keep the blighters down.

savbo

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 17:44 »
DD, do you put the spuds straight onto the manure or dig it into the bottom of the trench?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 17:52 »
Straight on, it's very well rotted, 2 years at least.

AndyRVTR

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 18:28 »
If you have no well-rotted manure, try putting some compost on the bottom of the trench with some pellted manure.. seems to work ok for the BBC....  :D

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 23:34 »
Straight on, it's very well rotted, 2 years at least.
Me too. And in the tubs I grow spuds in the greenhouse. Folk say it improves the flavour doing it like that (not tried a side-by-side test though ...)

stompy

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 11:27 »
I heared Manure pellets cause scab on potatoes  :unsure:
I put manure in the bottom of the trench then wetted newspaper and then the spuds and cover.
I usually get a good crop, gonna try the slug pellet trick next time though as i got a bit of damage last time.

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 13:09 »
This year I am going to sprinkle slug pellets around the plants before earthing up so to have the pellets near where the tubers are forming. Had a bad year last year with slug damage.
Paul

fatbelly

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 17:36 »
This year I am going to sprinkle slug pellets around the plants before earthing up so to have the pellets near where the tubers are forming. Had a bad year last year with slug damage.
This is another idea I will try this season in addition to my pellets in the trench trick.

Chicken Pete

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 15:02 »
Reading this subject today I had to laugh as only yesterday I was talking to an 'old timer' who has forgotten more about veg growing than I will every learn ;) However, he mentioned how he digs a trench 9/10" depth puts in a layer of manure and then puts the potato on top.
He swore by the potato 'Majestic' so (you have guessed it) I am going to try this this year.
Fingers X'd

xx
manure and spuds

Started by hanssg on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 21, 2014, 21:48
by mumofstig
xx
Spuds and manure.

Started by fallen angel on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 12, 2016, 07:53
by fallen angel
xx
MANURE FOR SPUDS

Started by mickeyboy on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 26, 2007, 14:55
by DD.
xx
manure and spuds!

Started by massa on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 10, 2010, 08:22
by boosh

Page created in 0.476 seconds with 34 queries.