harvesting potatoes

• 22 Replies

Charityuk

harvesting potatoes
« on: June 16, 2012, 16:04 »
The directions for our first early potatoes said to harvest after 10 weeks. So today we decided to see what had happened. The first plant gave 5 potatoes - is this good? Bad? Indifferent? The second had none, just teeny pea sized ones, so we put it back and decided to seek advice. They are Belana variety and have not quite flowered yet. We also have 2 other varieties which are a couple of weeks behind but bigger plants and flowering merrily away.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: harvesting potatoes
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 16:13 »
The weather hasn't been as expected so things seem to be taking longer than you would expect. Perhaps try and leave them a little longer. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 16:16 »
the bad weather has slowed them all up a bit IMO.
it usually pays to have a furtle around in the earth to see if they're worth lifting, before you actually do, mine are past their 12 weeks and still only tiny :(

snap ;)

Bernard

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 16:29 »
Glad I'm not alone in this. As I posted elsewhere, last year I grew small plants with good early spuds, this year big plants with nothing but flowers.

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 16:56 »
I too have dug up some plants for 'baby' new potatoes. I know everything is delayed, but its ridiculous mid June and only just starting to dig the spuds!!! I will wait for the rest to flower and go over before digging in earnest.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Charityuk

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 16:56 »
Thanks, will hang in there, but it's difficult with kids who are very excited to get at our first crop!

solway cropper

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 21:49 »
The weather hasn't been as expected so things seem to be taking longer than you would expect. Perhaps try and leave them a little longer. :)

I live in west Cumbria...the weather has been exactly as expected  ;)

borderowl

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 21:27 »
I dug up some first earlies in tubs, Foremost. I planted them in mid march and they've done nothing. Out of ten plants, barely a handful of wee spuds and a few frankenstein ones! They did get a bit of frost damage, but very disappointed. Kev

Charl89

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 21:51 »
well i dug some romano's up yesterday as plant looked a bit sad compared to its others so thought i would have a look and that plant had 9 potatoes and havent even dug far yet. enough for my dinner lol. going to dig up my pentland javelins tomorrow so fingers crossed they are ok.

kopjules

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 00:53 »
So am I right in thinking that after the pots have flowered,  you can start to harvest them?  X
:-)

AnneB

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 07:17 »
So am I right in thinking that after the pots have flowered,  you can start to harvest them?  X

Not all varieties flower, so flowering isn't a good guide to when your potatoes are ready, only for varieties that do it is some sort of indication.   As others have said the best thing to do is have a 'furtle' around in the soil to see whether things are ready.  Normally time is the best indicator for earlies, around 10 - 12 weeks from planting, but poor weather has delayed things a bit this year.

Mine are way behind.  You never know, it might mean that the leeks waiting to go in afterwards might even get to pencil thickness first this year before they go in.   ;)

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 07:30 »
I keep finding my hand going towards the pots for a furtle....but I am resisting! As long as nice local new potatoes are available I will try to leave mine. :mellow:

Or maybe just till the ones in the fridge are gone. A little furtle won't hurt will it? :unsure:

Unless there are no taters there. :ohmy: Then I will cry!!!!!! :(

Abbeyview

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 07:45 »
My rocket were very dissapointing at 11 weeks 4 or 5 per root too small to sensibly  use
however after 13 weeks which included 2.5 inches of rain they are much improved in size and quantity per root, some need cutting into 4 prior to cooking, Just a little patience was needed on my part.
Retired but never short of a job.

Willow_Warren

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 08:14 »
Well I dug my Swift potatoes up yesterday.

This is the first time I have grown potatoes and I have to say  I was a little dissapointed.

One plant only had 1 potato, the other 2 only had about 4 each!  I noticed some pea sized potatoes on one plant, but then also there were good sized potatoes (I didn't weigh but a good 3 to 4"), most of the 9 I dug up were actually a good size, I would want new potatoes any bigger so I'm not sure leaving them would have made a better situation.  What I was also surprised about was that the potatoes I did find were near the surface, rather than really having to dig down?

I've 3 more Swift plants to dig up and also a row of 5 Charlotte, so these may be more fruitfull only time will tell...

Hannah :)

Yana

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 09:09 »
Do I...... Dont I? I did have a furtle but could not find anything so am very disappointed as my potatoes were OK last year. I really need to get the earlies out as the leeks are ready to go in.
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

xx
Harvesting potatoes

Started by BLOOMING LOVELY on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post July 22, 2011, 14:14
by Vit
xx
Harvesting potatoes

Started by purplebean on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 11, 2008, 13:06
by purplebean
xx
Harvesting potatoes

Started by Rich72 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 20, 2011, 18:38
by sunshineband
xx
Harvesting potatoes

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post July 23, 2022, 16:40
by Snow

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 30 queries.