DIY pots

• 49 Replies

Shelle

DIY pots
« on: January 01, 2008, 18:09 »
Right, it is now the new year, so I can start planning even more  :D

Due to getting a mini 4 tier greenhouse for Christmas, I can now expand a little and use it as an overflow for my sowing.  

I have been saving some toilet rolls to use as pots, but I understand these are more for those seeds that roots dislike being moved?  Like carrots or parsnips?  Are they beneficial for any other seeds?  I am planning on carrots, parsnips, half pint peas, fine beans, radishes, calabrese and maybe cauliflower.  (All container bound as I have hardly any garden to use).  What should I start off in the house (if not everything) and what can can out in the greenhouse fairly early?

I also got a polytunnel for Christmas, but other than using over the containers acting as a coldframe perhaps in the beginning, I am not sure what else I can use it for without soil.  Any ideas??

This year will be a different learning curve for me with the expansion of veg varities and also a mini greehouse!

Sally A

DIY pots
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 18:24 »
I've found loo rolls a bit too small, with veg you want a decent root spread, so I only use them for bedding flowers that I want to give a bit of a leg up to, eg nasturtium etc.

but if anyone can tell me of a veg that likes a loo roll start I'd be happy to use up the bagful I've saved (2008 - I will declutter)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
DIY pots
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 18:30 »
Personally I sow carrots & parsnips directly where they are to grow.

I tried sweetcorn in loo rolls a couple of years ago, this is a well used method, but I got poor germination & load of toadstools on the loo rolls, (it's the glue). It could have been a bad packet of seed though.

Peas I sow in their growing place, but start off beans inside. You can use loo rolls for this no doubt, I use a deep seed tray. Radish I grow in seed trays, one seed per inch - great success with that.

Brassica wise, I germinate them one seed to a plant plug, then pot on into 3" pots, again I suppose you could use the loo rolls, but I think some thing larger would be better.

Leave space for the must crops in the polytunnel, tomatoes, cucumbers & peppers!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Sally A

DIY pots
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 18:34 »
I might try toms in loo rolls, as their root system isn't that spready, and if I start them off in a seed tray with loo rolls, it saves tearing away at the roots to separate them, which I always feel awful about.

Does mean one seed per loo roll though.

donald.cape

• Experienced Member
DIY pots
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 18:35 »
Try these  
http://www.geocities.com/newspaperpots/
you can make them any size you want, store them flat and open them up when you want to use them.

DD.

• Global Moderator
DIY pots
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 18:37 »
Quote from: "Sally A"
I might try toms in loo rolls, as their root system isn't that spready, and if I start them off in a seed tray with loo rolls, it saves tearing away at the roots to separate them, which I always feel awful about.

Seed tray inserts - the way to go.

mashauk

DIY pots
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 18:47 »
Quote from: "donald.cape"
Try these  
you can make them any size you want, store them flat and open them up when you want to use them.

I'm going to try these, obviously they don't disintegrate when you put the soil and water in them?

Fab idea, something to do with all the free papers we get :lol:

Sally A

DIY pots
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 18:52 »
Quote from: "DD."

Do they exist already, or are you impressed with the loo roll idea?  make more room by making them square, ie squidge in half, then crease the other way.

another option is to get a cereal packet, and cut strips of card, cut slits in them half way down and similar with intersecting card (a bit like the drawer dividers/sock organisers you get), but then you can't lift them out as a whole unit, does help for lobelia and the like though.

DD.

• Global Moderator
DIY pots
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2008, 18:54 »
Quote from: "DD."

Do they exist already, or are you impressed with the loo roll idea?  make more room by making them square, ie squidge in half, then crease the other way.

another option is to get a cereal packet, and cut strips of card, cut slits in them half way down and similar with intersecting card (a bit like the drawer dividers/sock organisers you get), but then you can't lift them out as a whole unit, does help for lobelia and the like though.

Already got the inserts, bought of ebay at a good price last year. Really sturdy & should be able to re-use them for years.

blackhobbescat

• Experienced Member
DIY pots
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 18:57 »
I used a paper potter last year.  Very good.  They just slowly rot away once you put them in the soil.  Boys loved making the pots too!
On the very steep learning curve of organic veg growing!!!!

mashauk

DIY pots
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2008, 19:14 »
Try these  

I just tried it, but seem to have got stuck at stage 5 and it doesn't look the same!

Sally A

DIY pots
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2008, 19:23 »
I've got a chipper hat and a lotus flower :)

mashauk

DIY pots
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2008, 19:24 »
Quote from: "mashauk"
Try these  

Sorry to be a pain, but have you actually used these instructions?  OH and I have both just tried and neither of us could get it to work!

WG.

DIY pots
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2008, 19:26 »
I get : "Sorry, this GeoCities site is currently unavailable.
The GeoCities web site you were trying to view has temporarily exceeded its data transfer limit. Please try again later.
"

Sally A

DIY pots
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2008, 19:32 »
that's cos we're all on there making paper doves and sweet holders

xx
swede V paper pots or peat pots

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 18, 2011, 19:28
by rowlandwells
xx
Pots Grown In Pots For Christmas.

Started by mkhenry on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post October 31, 2007, 21:32
by mkhenry
xx
beef toms in greenhouse. Grow bags v pots or pots in grow bags???

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 07, 2020, 08:49
by mumofstig
xx
New |Pots

Started by Briony on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 13, 2009, 20:59
by Kristen

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 29 queries.