DIY pots

• 49 Replies

Scribbler

DIY pots
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2008, 18:01 »
Donald - can you re-explain the instructions please? At the moment it's not werking for me...!
Growing salad leaves isn't rocket science.

donald.cape

• Experienced Member
DIY pots
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2008, 18:09 »
I've made loads of these pots all different sizes. Once you get the hang of it they are dead easy to make. It seems to be steps 7 and 8 where people go wrong. Don't forget to flip the wings over so that you have a smooth side facing you and also underneath. Just like making a paper plane, or a paper hat. You end up with a paper pot with two tabs that you can either fold inside when you fill it, or leave them out and you can use them to lift the pot out of the seed tray or container when you are planting them out
http://www.geocities.com/newspaperpots/

Scribbler

DIY pots
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2008, 20:36 »
I just can't do it. The instructions are missing some important information. They are sketchy at best. I'm getting really cross, so better give up!

Thanks anyway.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
DIY pots
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2008, 21:33 »
Quote from: "Scribbler"
I just can't do it. The instructions are missing some important information. They are sketchy at best. I'm getting really cross, so better give up!

Thanks anyway.

Try this way Scribblerhttp://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?p=145648#145648
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

donald.cape

• Experienced Member
DIY pots
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2008, 07:42 »
If you look at the printing on the newspaper and see where it ends up after each step it may help. Honest it's easy once you have done one.

clarebear

• Experienced Member
    • http://thewindowshopaholic.blogspot.com/2008_08_01_archive.html
DIY pots
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2008, 22:26 »
I think your way looks great rich but I like the idea of the geocities ones because i can make loads an keep them folded until i'm ready to use them. it's just frustrating the heck out of my.

It's when i get to step 7 or 8. when it comes to folding the wings in but i can't because the wings are on a folded bit of paper.

It is really starting to get my goat.  DOnald cape do you have any clearer instructions. This is roasting my marble.
I don't have a drink problem. I drink, I get drunk, I pass out. No Problem.

Scribbler

DIY pots
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2008, 23:54 »
Glad it's not just me CB. So annoying, so unimportant, but because its not important, it makes it more annoying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

sweet nasturtium

DIY pots
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2008, 00:20 »
I have a feeling Richy is having a quiet chuckle.  Do look at his link, it's VERY simple.  Just don't focus on the fingernails.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
DIY pots
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2008, 07:16 »
Quote from: "sweet nasturtium"
I have a feeling Richy is having a quiet chuckle.  Do look at his link, it's VERY simple.  Just don't focus on the fingernails.

They're a grafter's fingernails, it's what you get on the plot. (I know you've not been down for months, just trying to make an excuse for you, Richy!).
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

donald.cape

• Experienced Member
DIY pots
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2008, 07:43 »
If you can get to stage 7 you are almost there. Look at stage 7 picture, it's an upside down triangle with two thickness's of paper on the right and two on the left.
Take the top right hand corner of the right hand side and fold it over to the far top left. You now have an upside down triangle with three thickness's on the left and one on the right of the triangle.
TURN THE WHOLE THING OVER so that the side that was facing you is now on the bottom facing the table. You now have an upside down triangle with three thickness's on the right again. Do exactly what you did earlier, ie take the top thickness on the right hand side and fold it over to the left top corner. You now have an upside down triangle with two thickness's on the left hand side and two on the right but without a seam down the middle. Then continue with the next stage.

Scribbler

DIY pots
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2008, 16:51 »
Well after yesterday's origami rage incident, seems to werk for me at last!!!

Thanks for the extra guidance. Key thing is folding top layer across and keeping top uppermost, rather than simply folding over!

Easy when you know how :!:

clarebear

• Experienced Member
DIY pots
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2008, 18:05 »
cool i'll give it a shot when ds is in bed.

Scribbler

DIY pots
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2008, 19:06 »
Slight problem. I've only managed to do it once. Now I can't do it again!!!

Persevere!!!

BTW CB, what do your abbreviations mean - like ds etc?

clarebear

• Experienced Member
DIY pots
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2008, 21:32 »
DS is dear son dp is dear partner, dh would be dear husband etcc.

Jeanieblue

• Experienced Member
DIY pots
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2008, 21:51 »
Well, I give up on the origimi pots. Will try the 'wrapping newspaper round soup cans' idea. My old man (OH, DH .. whatever!) had soup today, so am already half way there. I have successfully germinated broad and runner beans in toilet/kitchen roll tubes - but did have some interesting fungus as well, with no ill effects.  Have just planted some sweet pea seeds in toilet rolls - will leave them out in the garage - surely they will be better off than nature's way of leaving them out in all weathers all winter! Will be planting some leek seeds tomorrow, to try and have baby leeks - great idea, thanks!
Still glowing, still growing, still going strong!

xx
swede V paper pots or peat pots

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 18, 2011, 19:28
by rowlandwells
xx
Pots Grown In Pots For Christmas.

Started by mkhenry on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post October 31, 2007, 21:32
by mkhenry
xx
beef toms in greenhouse. Grow bags v pots or pots in grow bags???

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 07, 2020, 08:49
by mumofstig
xx
New |Pots

Started by Briony on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 13, 2009, 20:59
by Kristen

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 37 queries.