raising chicks

• 8 Replies

NATHAN

raising chicks
« on: October 17, 2007, 03:55 »
I was wondering, if and when one of my hens becomes broody can i buy a couple of fertile eggs and slip them under her for her to raise as her own? I have 3 hens at present and would not mind expanding a little. I don't really want to go down the road of incubators and stuff when i have a nice warm hen who will do the job for me.

Bodger

raising chicks
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 07:03 »
Its as natural as natural can be. Not all eggs hatch of course, so I'd give yourself a few more chances than " just a couple"

psipower

raising chicks
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 08:02 »
or, if you want to be certain of having hens rather than cockerels, you could get some day-old chicks from an auto-sexing breed.

Have your broody sitting on the appropriate number of 'eggs' (can be pretend ones - as long as she sits on them!). Then when the chicks arrive, keep them near her for a while e.g. 1 hour so she can hear their cheeps, then every so often slide a chick under her and remove an egg.

Bodger

raising chicks
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 09:01 »
Night time is the time to do that :lol:

muntjac

raising chicks
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 11:12 »
yes it is ,but dont go taking 5 pot eggs n leaving her 8 chicks ,poor * gonna think she got a set triplets  :shock:  :roll:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
still alive /............

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
raising chicks
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 13:09 »
Sounds wonderful - If only I had the space  :D

cherrypie

raising chicks
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 08:24 »
nathan i'm a new chicken keeper, i a was given a broody bantum in April i bought her 4 full sized fertile eggs, 3 hatched, two are cockerals and the other hasn't started laying yet (they are 22 weeks old now) it's been great fun and and not difficult to do. i've had a few questions but people here have always come up trumps with an answer. i'd go for the eggs not the one day old chicks it is sooooooo exciting  waiting for them to hatch, a bit tedious waiting for them to start to lay and going to be sad when i dispense with the cockerals, but hey it's the old circle of life. good luck
cherrypie

NATHAN

raising chicks
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2007, 16:26 »
Thanks for the replys. Do i have to wait until spring or can it be any time of the yesr that the hens will go broody? Sorry if this is a stupid question

muntjac

raising chicks
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2007, 20:13 »
its not stupid mate .leave it till spring thne your not worrying about the chicks over the cold period and the hen is more than likly to incubate them then when its warmer  :wink:

xx
Raising chicks

Started by bastonjock on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 16, 2011, 09:06
by Sassy
xx
Raising chicks

Started by North Devon Dumpling on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 27, 2010, 21:51
by francais
xx
raising chicks for the table

Started by upthetump on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 18, 2010, 21:45
by GrannieAnnie
xx
How soon after brooding and raising chicks.............

Started by cathangirl on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 15, 2009, 17:53
by cathangirl

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 32 queries.