Embarassingly daft grit question

• 8 Replies

lucyeff

« on: October 21, 2007, 15:08 »
:oops: Just been to local farmers feed place (been very duped, but that's another story, OH off back tomorrow to see how he got to the end total..think he made it up as he went along but didn't realise til I got home  :( ).

He took my shopping list and stuck everything on a trolley without asking me anything. As a consequence I have a bag of something - I asked for oyster shell and grit, grit was on my list - he's given me one bag of some unbranded stuff that looks like crushed shells. Shops shut now, but is it usual to buy grit and shell mixed up? I feel a bit stupid for not asking but felt slightly intimidated, he just loaded them in my boot and that was it.

I know, I know...if he'd got me on a better day I'd've asked... :oops:

Sorry if its a stupid q.

muntjac

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 15:54 »
he has sold ya grit with cockle shel n other rubbish in,take it back ,you want just oyster shell and quartz type chicken grit .. dont give a blooming shop assistant your list ever  specially when they dont know dodo about what they selling ,which i may add most dont,,,,,,, twonts will rip you off  :x
still alive /............

lucyeff

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 16:19 »
I'm sure you're right. I asked for Diatom and he's given me Duramitex which he said was better. I wanted something to treat the birds, the coop will be new so I figured if we treat the birds then that's one less thing to worry about. He couldn't suss out the powder he had on the shelf - it said use so much per bird but it didn't say you could definitely use it directly on them, so he said Duramitex would be better. Which now I'm home reads you definitely can't use it directly on the birds. Thought it was odd when an old bloke in the shop said watch out cos that stuff'll make you spew if you breathe it in - we were up with the kids all night so I'm away with the fairies and never twigged til I got home.

It all cost me half of what I've got left til 5th November, which'd be fine if he sold me the right stuff.  :( Put a bit of a dampner on things. Picking em up tomorrow now anyway, so at least I can try another shop and OH can go back and give him a rollocking (he was the shop owner/farmer rather than an assistant an'all)

Ta for getting back with the advice Munty.  :)

Luce

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 16:29 »
hi luce,

are the kiddies ok?

such a shame that someones sold you something to upset their tummys.

i hope it doesnt put them off the chickens and they are feeling better soon.

kay x

lucyeff

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 16:56 »
Quote from: "happyvalley"
hi luce,

are the kiddies ok?

such a shame that someones sold you something to upset their tummys.

i hope it doesnt put them off the chickens and they are feeling better soon.

kay x

They're fine ta, sorry I meant we were up all night with the kids just as usual (one's 2 and the other's 9 months) which is why I didn't twig he'd sold me the wrong stuff.

We haven't used the Duramitex at all yet - we wanted something to treat the birds directly when we pick them up tomorrow as we're being given them so don't know if they might have mites on them already. But he's given us something which seems the mite equivalent of a nuclear attack instead of an asbo, if you see what I mean.

I'm probably one of the few who even manages to be incoherent when I'm typing, sorry for crossed wires! :oops:

Luce

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 17:45 »
ooo thats better. i thought you had used it and it made them poorly.

glad to hear they are ok.

get some good old red mite powder, and dust them. smells spicey thats all and harmless except to redmite. puff it around the house too - job done. vaseline around the house joints like muntjac advises

all for about £10 for both.

just my opinion, im sure others will be along soon with more options

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 18:05 »
I this what he sold you

http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/prodinfo.asp?number=DUR140

I by most of my stuff on line.  This is where I get diatom:

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/spr/page12.html

lucyeff

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2007, 19:30 »
Thanks  :)

I should have trusted my own judgment - I'd gone in wanting Diatom after reading about it on here, then let him sell me something else thinking he knew when REALLY he didn't have a clue and sold me what he had in stock.

I'm really annoyed with myself. I wanted Allen & Page layers pellets too and he sort of huffed and puffed about not selling em and I bought 25kg of their own stuff when I wanted to avoid the heads shoulders knees and toes type feed, iyswim! I'm such a wuss  :oops:

I will take it back and get some Diatom from somewhere else, sounds much more user/bird friendly!  :)

muntjac

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2007, 20:30 »
take the pellets back if its  his own make . never buy a "  oh we got our own stuff" from anyone .firstly you cannot ever know whats in it like you can with registered makers .second he well may charge you for nothing but  a bag of milled barley dodo .one load of barley is very different from another ,grading goes down in size and " fullness " of the seed,  poorly grown seed which i have to say is not the farmers fault but is the weathers is small and contains a very small seed but a lot of chaff  so its useless for making beer or bread etc  this goes into animal feed stuffs and yes even dry cat and dog food has it in the biscuit content . some mills buy up this rubbish in the attempt to " fatten " out meal pellets . "cattle nuts " etc for birds and other animals such as cows and sheep etc even horses who should have oat bran you can find it contains  crushed or floured barley sems to me he is just taking the piss and more concerned with the money than proper service ,good job im not going back to see him :x

xx
A question about grit.

Started by hendreary on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 14, 2010, 18:30
by joyfull
xx
Chicken grit question

Started by davepitch on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 17, 2008, 21:05
by muntjac
xx
daft question?

Started by krystal on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 02, 2011, 11:37
by avilla
xx
Daft question

Started by Mr Chookles on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 13, 2008, 00:07
by Mr Chookles

Page created in 0.246 seconds with 28 queries.