Watering

• 9 Replies

Jabba2006

Watering
« on: August 08, 2007, 19:12 »
Hi everyone,
                  I have found that watering the plot is best done between 10 & 11 in the morning but someone has just told me that the best time to be watering is in the evenings.

Can someone please tell me when I should be watering my plot ?

I use a sprinkler to water the plot.

How long should I sprinkle for ?
Jarrod

Brighton,
East Sussex.

WG.

Watering
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 19:14 »
Evenings give less evaporation

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Watering
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 19:57 »
And water loads, makes the roots go deeper, a light watering encourages roots near the surface where they can dry out easier.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

splodger

Watering
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 20:28 »
evenings are best for sure - the water has a better chance of soaking in - and you plants don't get scorched from the sun.

muntjac

Watering
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 21:50 »
im a morning waterer and and evening waterer in hot weather ,my glasshouse stuff gets both waterings so it doesnt have problems with blossom end rot in toms
still alive /............

Contadino

• Experienced Member
Watering
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 06:21 »
All my old neighbours tell me that the best time to water is definitely after the sun has gone from the plot in the evening, and better later than sooner.  I usually water at about 6 until 7, but apparently it's better to do it later than that.  In the height of summer, it takes the soil a while to cool down in the evening, so I presume cooler soil = less evaporation.  I use drip irrigation systems as I understand that they get the water deeper more efficiently, but obviously they're not appropriate for things like lawns.

I once read somewhere that plants absorb water at night but it was so long ago that I've forgotten where I read that.  In bright sunlight, young leaves can get scorched if wet.

muntjac

Watering
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 09:20 »
they get scorched because the water acts like a lens in concentrating the suns rays ,

wellingtons

I water in the evening ...
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 09:58 »
... purely because it's the only chance I get.

But at the minute I am only watering salad crops and seedlings on the plot regularly.  I'm watering my pumpkins too because they're all on compost heaps.  Other than that the only thing that gets any water is the greenhouse.  

And I've only watered the entire plot once ... and it absolutely chucked it down the next day!!! ... that'll learn me!

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Watering
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 10:05 »
I water mine at 7amish (like this morning) as I cannot get to the plot at night due to work. I do this maybe twice a week in this weather.. funny after 60 mins of watering I was wishing for rain!!! how fickle are we gardeners :lol:

paintedlady

Watering
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007, 10:18 »
I'm a morning person too, mainly because when I get home from work in the evening I'm too knackered and there is usually a frazzled crowd of folk round the taps anyway (usually because someone has decided to use a hosepipe and no-one else can get to the tap!)

The only drawback at 6.00am is that as soon as you step onto the site, every mosquito and other biting insect zero on you! :shock:
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

xx
Confused about watering or not watering

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 21, 2010, 18:33
by Nikkithefoot
xx
Watering

Started by Glyn on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post December 03, 2008, 15:57
by Steve.P
xx
Watering

Started by ben/anne on Grow Your Own

42 Replies
Last post June 07, 2013, 13:24
by J_B
xx
Watering

Started by tallgingerbloke on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 29, 2009, 20:45
by tallgingerbloke

Page created in 0.286 seconds with 28 queries.