Unwell chicken ??why

• 4 Replies

Holly Carney

Unwell chicken ??why
« on: July 04, 2010, 20:15 »
I have an unwell ex battery hen, we have had Mable and our other 2 ex-bats for over a year now and for the past month or two she has a pale floppy combed, is quiet and doesn't lay. She has a distended/swollen abdomen but passes pretty normal poo's! she still eats and rushes for a treat of meal worms and she drinks although none of them are taking on much water at the mo which is strange in this heat! They are all wormed regularly and treated for red mites and lice and their feathers/lgs are in great nic. The other 2 arn't laying very well either at the moment but are very healthy.
I am baffled as to what is wrong and would really appreciate any help/advice.  :unsure:

Holly Carney

Re: Unwell chicken ??why
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 20:20 »
Oh and she isn't egg bound as this has been going on far to long and we can't feel any massess/lumps!

Holly Carney

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 21:08 »
obviously no-one had any ideas and sadly we had to end her misery a fews days ago when she took a turn for the worst! RIP Mable xx

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 21:15 »
sorry to hear that, i too have rescue hens, I know the joy they bring, you did the right thing by her, and just think of all those chickeny things she was able to do with you which she couldn't do before, x

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 22:25 »
I'm sorry no one answered your query Holly, it never came up on my 'unread threads since last visit' page.

You are lucky she had a good year with you.  The farms get rid of battery hens because they are past their best, and sadly some don't last very long, and many don't lay eggs for much longer once they are rescued.

It was nothing you'd done.  hybrids hens aren't bred for long lives as normally they only need to last for 18 months or so, so every extra day they have with you is a bonus!!!

xx
Help unwell chicken

Started by jenashmimi on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 05, 2011, 13:47
by jenashmimi
xx
Is my chicken unwell?

Started by skerts on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post August 21, 2008, 22:06
by Aunt Sally
xx
unwell chicken

Started by kittyb on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 05, 2011, 09:04
by joyfull
xx
I think my chicken is unwell can you help?

Started by DebbieG on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post September 18, 2007, 11:48
by muntjac

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 36 queries.