broken toe

• 11 Replies

Daisycow

broken toe
« on: June 25, 2008, 21:03 »
I planned on sticking some photos on here, but am having trouble uploading them, will have to try later.  :x  
We got two new 10 week old chicks last week  :D. One of them has at some point broken her toe, and it has healed beneath her actual foot...hope this makes sense? Anyway she now has like a squashed 'pad' of skin/toe underneath her whole foot. She seems to be ok, but occasionally limps (I assume this maybe because she may have caught it slightly on something?) She still scratches in the dirt ok.
Anyway, we are now having trouble deciding what to do. Do we take her to vets for his opinion? Do we just leave it and see what happens and hope she'll be ok? Or the unthinkable?  :cry:
The chap we got her from has been understanding and offered to take her back if we want him to, but if she might be ok, we'd rather keep her.
What do you guys think we should do?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
broken toe
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 21:10 »
If it's causing her walking problems it can only get worse rather than better and it might be better to have the toe removed by the vet, unless your rather send her back.  If you send her back to the seller he will either sell her to someone else or dispatch her.

Foxy

broken toe
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 21:20 »
Daisycow, how about a piccy? sounds a bit like bumblefoot may have developed. As Auntie says it might only ge worse if she has trouble walking.
Does the area look inflammed at all? red or swollen? can you feel any heat compared to the other foot? Are all toes intact and straight now?
Sorry for all the questions, hope we can all help! :D

Daisycow

broken toe
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 21:39 »
Hopefully here are some pics, difficult as the camera didnt focus too well. This top pic show the feathery bit inbetween the two normal toes is the broken toe. The bottom pic is the underneath, but you cant see it too well.

Here's one of the two of them. Their run is now on the grass, but they came down to the patio for some corn! The one with the bad foot is the one at the back.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
broken toe
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 21:47 »
Very pretty birds  :D

So pretty infact that I'd spend a few pounds on a vet's consultation.  I don't think it's bumble foot but hard to tell from the picture.  Removing the toe might be the best option.

Foxy

broken toe
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 21:58 »
They are beautiful! where did you get them?
I agree with Auntie might be better to remove the toe surgically. Shouldn't be expensive.

Daisycow

broken toe
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 22:03 »
Thank you, they are so pretty and very friendly, thats why I def dont want the dispatch option!!  :cry:
The vets gonna love us, we were there 10 days ago as one of our other chooks aka our mini jcb garden destroyer has a swollen knee!! It hasnt stopped her in her mission to dig up every blade of grass in the garden though!  :lol:  :lol: Ah well at least we liven up the waiting room when we go there as they chatter to themselves while waiting!!  :roll:
Will give him a call tomorrow and keep you all posted!! Thanks for the advice Aunt Sally and Foxy  :D

Daisycow

broken toe
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 22:08 »
Thanks Foxy, we got them from a chap who breeds chooks as a hobby in Sussex. Such a friendly, nice chap, had some beautiful, beautiful chooks, and some very cute chicks running with mummy hen! And daddy chook wasn't far away, if we could have a cockerel, I'd want him, he was lovely!! :lol:

conventgirl

broken toe
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 22:26 »
Cant help with any advice im afraid...i hope the vet can help tomorrow

They are gorgeous little birds :)

Daisycow

broken toe
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 18:17 »
Went to vets earlier in the week, she is due to have her toe removed tomorrow, he said she would be better without it. Lets hope it goes ok!!!

Poolfield2

broken toe
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 19:26 »
Hope your girly is ok and that she won't get stressed at the vets. They are really beautiful, what sort are they?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
broken toe
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 20:59 »
Fingers crossed for her

xx
broken egg

Started by sneezer on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 07, 2010, 19:01
by joyfull
xx
Broken egg

Started by flimbin on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 06, 2010, 17:15
by flimbin
xx
? broken leg

Started by yellowpenguin on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 09, 2010, 09:48
by yellowpenguin
xx
Broken egg?

Started by PaulineM on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post August 22, 2010, 18:59
by PaulineM

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 29 queries.