What I did on the plot today - 2013

• 2699 Replies

bobr1960

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2013
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2013, 13:02 »
The water has subsided so I made a raised bed border. (Sorry about the fuzzy photo, I must've got too excited)
Hi Annen

The bed looks great. We built 4' raised beds x 4 out of scaffold boards the beds are about 23' long and filled to 2" from the top and we cant wait to get going! I want to make some tunnels out of the blue pipe next to stcik over them.
Happy sowing.
Bob
Happy Sowing!

Yana

« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2013, 14:34 »
Just back from very productive 5 hours at the 'new' half plot.
All raspberry bushes intact but, alas, not so for the strawberries. Never mind.
Anyways, weeded the raspberries and top dressed with well rotted manure. Looking good if I say so myself.
Dug out and disposed of large patch of couch grass, along with other weeds whose names I don't know.
Stood back and admired work and came home for well earned cuppa.
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2013, 16:07 »
Emptied the compost out of some containers around the garden and used it to mulch the herb bed, limed and mulched the asparagus bed, finally got round to removing the remains of the tomatoes in the greenhouse and also the quite extraordinary quantity of green plastic twine I somehow managed to deploy, and inhaled a couple of good lungfuls of botrytis spores as a punishment for being so lazy and not doing it before now.  :wacko:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Ema

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2013, 20:05 »
Glad the rasberries were still there Yanna

I took today off work and when I got back from a long walk decided to carry on turning the compos at home not my favirote job.

going to reread a few more books for inspiration tonight

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2013, 21:28 »

Weeded around the raspberry beds, emptied the compost from some of the larger pots.

Put compost over the rhubarb.

Herb

• Experienced Member
Re: Re: What I did on the plot today - 2013
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2013, 21:28 »
Not at the plot, but sown Aubergines (Black Beauty and Mixed), and Chillies (Hungarian Wax, Habanero and 'Long Slim')  into an heated propagator.

Lardman

« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2013, 21:33 »
Looked at the last 270sq feet of lawn and thought.... "That would make a nice potato patch".

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2013, 22:45 »
OMG - its the 4th January and there are already three pages on this thread!! If Santa could take his hat off for you i would (he can't!!).  :blink:

Fair play to you all.

Well me - got the olf seed tins out and worked out i only need to buy 2 packets of seed this year, parsnips and some lettuce. So i will probably ending up buying 841 packets!!!

tallulah

« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2013, 09:37 »
Well I've followed my usual New Year pattern - digging out my triple DVD set of Geoff Hamilton's gardening - it never fails to cheer and inspire.  Time for action now though, and so the greenhouse cleaning beckons (wonder if I could bribe the husband) and lots of clearing and tidying.  Main problem - how much ground to give over to veg, and how much to roses, shrubs and flowers?  (No allotment, just modest back garden).

Paul Plots

« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2013, 13:51 »
Well I've followed my usual New Year pattern - digging out my triple DVD set of Geoff Hamilton's gardening - it never fails to cheer and inspire.  Time for action now though, and so the greenhouse cleaning beckons (wonder if I could bribe the husband) and lots of clearing and tidying.  Main problem - how much ground to give over to veg, and how much to roses, shrubs and flowers?  (No allotment, just modest back garden).

As my dad would say, "You can't eat flowers!" but, there again, there are a few that you can.

Go for veg with pretty flowers and coloured leaves - try mixed planting in some places and see how it goes.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Yana

« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2013, 14:02 »
Ditto Herb, in that not at plot today so will be sowing aubergines (for the VERY last time) along with chillies and a freebie packet of tomato seeds in heated propagator.
Did onion (Bedfordshire Champion) last week as OH and I are having an onion growing competition. OH has Ailsae seeds and has complicated trial set up. Me? I scattered them over the (damp) compost in the tray and covered with light dusting of more compost. I bet he wins  :mellow:

Cake Lady

• Experienced Member
    • The Allotment Good Life
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2013, 15:45 »
I sowed some bedfordshire champion and red baron onion seeds last week and noticed today the first ones peeping through!  I've tried to grow in individual modules as I've not had much success in flats (not that i've tried recently).

Down the plot I've deep dug out a trench which always seems waterlogged and filled with homemade compost and manure, then moved a full pallet compost bin from one side to the other, adding manure as it went.  I also tidied up a few bits and added them to the heap, before measuring out a new area ready for a raised bed.

Not done a lot down the plot fot what seems like an eternity, so this seemed very satisfying!

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2013, 16:20 »

Planted up 30 raspberry canes, and did some weeding

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2013, 16:48 »
Put about a dozen barrow-loads of ancient horse muck onto the beds in the polytunnel and then lightly forked it in. Planning to tidy up the flower and shrub borders tomorrow in readiness for a thick mulch of not-so-old horse muck

Ema

« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2013, 17:23 »
I hunted down a few pallets today and then dismantled into planks, need to put an edging board around the plot to stop the gravel paths intruding

xx
Tips for 2013 and my new plot

Started by Ema on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 28, 2012, 15:43
by JayG
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2020

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

247 Replies
Last post December 31, 2020, 15:57
by Aidy

Page created in 0.379 seconds with 29 queries.