Bloated Hen

• 1 Replies

Pavlodge

Bloated Hen
« on: July 03, 2012, 06:58 »
Yesterday I noticed that my blue ranger was not her usual self , she was very slow & not running around with the others as usual    . This morning I picked her up to segregate her & she seems to have a very bloated chest , as if it is full of fluid, it felt like a water balloon !   I have put her in a small coop on her own with food , water & grit .   What else can I do ?  does anyone know ?

Casey76

Re: Bloated Hen
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 08:53 »
That sounds like sour crop, which is where food ferments in the crop.  Apparantly it smells :sick:

One thing which will help your hen feel better is if you can empty the crop.  To do this you have to tilt your hen: hold your hen so her abdomen is near the crook of your elbow, and you are supporting her chest with your hand; gently tilt her so her head is lower than her bottom, and gently massage her crop.  Only do this for a few seconds at a time, as you don't want to drown your hen ;)  She should disgorge the liquid which is in her crop.

Keep her diet very simple: damp some layers pellets so they turn soft and fluffy, but not so much they turn into mush.  Replace very often as damp pellets spoil very easily.  She may also appreciate some Avipro plus, which is a prebiotic, and has the benefit of being lactose free.

If the sour crop persists, you might want to ask your vet for some nystatin, which is a treatment for oral thrush for humans and animals.

Good luck :)

xx
bloated hen

Started by SnooziSuzi on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 15, 2009, 12:28
by SnooziSuzi
xx
Bloated ill chicken

Started by karmadog on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 16, 2010, 18:33
by Aunt Sally
question
Old hen with bloated abdomen

Started by leggygirls on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 14, 2015, 16:42
by barley
xx
Older Hen with bloated abdomen?

Started by bard on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post October 31, 2007, 08:24
by muntjac

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 29 queries.