layer pellets

• 9 Replies

dennis

• Experienced Member
layer pellets
« on: July 02, 2012, 09:05 »
what layer pellets do you use ? i feed farmgate and have been told they are rubish :(   

JaK

• Happy half plot.
Re: layer pellets
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 10:24 »
I've never had a problem with farmgate feeds. I choose them over the local feed as they are GM free which is important to me. Just because they are cheaper than they fancy packaged branded feeds doesn't mean they are rubbish at all.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 10:48 »
A lot depends on whereabouts you are dennis and what is available to you.

There is nothing wrong with Farmgate feeds, we used them for years, but found that BEARTS in Norfolk gave us a better deal, but we did used to buy a tonne at a time!

They told us that Farmgate do use a lot of the old broken biscuits from the factories and the food scientists then vary the feed to make sure they have all the right nutrients in it, but I only have their word for that.

We weren't greatly impressed with Heygate stuff, and Allen and Page is good, but is usually more expensive.

If you put your rough location in your profile, it can help people more local to you!

DoubleDigger

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 10:52 »
Get a Mortgage & give them Garvo  ::)  darned things live better than I do ( & the dog loves it too  :wacko: )

splash101

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 14:02 »
i dont seem to have a choice.

I started with farmgate because thats what all of my local suppliers sold. Then they all changed to heygates.

There is 1 supplier that has a different brand but unfortunately comes in plain sacks with only the ingrediants printed on so i dont know who makes it. They are much better but £3 a sack more and i have to make a special trip to get it.

would need a mortgage for Garvo, they are more than twice the price of what i pay  :ohmy:

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 16:14 »
we used to use dodson because that was all that was available. going to melton, we purchased heygates but my hens weren't as productive on this. we now use the pet store 'jollies' own brand and have to make a special trip to coalville for it. but we buy it in bulk and the hens seem to like it - good eggs too. hardly ever need oyster shell, lovely hard shells - never had soft shelled eggs on this brand and gorgeous orange yolks.

costs about £9 a bag but well worth it for us.
1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

dennis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 19:57 »
grannie annie i live in manchester
i'm having egg shel probs and some people have said its the layers i use
thanks for all your replies

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 22:57 »
Hi Dennis, for future help, can you put your location in your profile (just say Manchester) then it is easier for anyone to assist you.

Farmgate feeds belongs to BOCM Paul's, a very big company.  There is every nutrient in the feed that chickens need, so your shell problem won't be the feed itself.

Maybe your girls need a bit more calcium.  How old are they?  Shells can get thin, wrinkled, soft at any time, but more so when the hens are older.

You can give them more calcium by giving them crushed oyster shell, and I think there is a liquid calcium someone on here mentioned once, but I've never tried it.

dennis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 08:28 »
hi g,a they get oyster shel and grit +codliver oil and they f/r
the oldist 3 a blue bell the yungest 1yr aprox i have 18 hens in total

Sassy

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 08:34 »
You could try equine retailers. Both Dodson and Horrell and Spillers (equine feed peeps) do layers pellets. I have used Spillers for a while now, there is a cheaper brand available but they are not GM free. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
Whats the difference, between layer pellets and layer mash?

Started by Craigx on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 11, 2012, 11:14
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Grower's pellets to layer's pellets

Started by Ben_H on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 14, 2011, 09:36
by Beano
xx
layer pellets

Started by dugless on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 29, 2009, 16:42
by dugless
xx
Layer Pellets

Started by thechicken on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 20, 2012, 19:11
by thechicken

Page created in 0.235 seconds with 36 queries.