help required -chutney first attempt

• 5 Replies

daved

« on: September 05, 2007, 23:29 »
hello there - this is probably really cheeky of me being my first post etc but am seeking advice/help- as there seems a healthy interest in pickles and chutneys in this forum just found you out of the blue - i will be reading more of the forum later:
the problem is:
 i have just made some damson chutney -my first attempt at chutney boiled it simmered it and popped it in the jars and followed the recipe and instructions to the letter- but i couldnt resist a taste - as you do- and its awful yuk-  :oops:  --- the mixture has a lovely plummy smell and colour and must add the texture is great and initial taste but leaves an after taste like i have just eaten a handfull of raw sloes  - it is very tart and dry after taste- have i done something wrong? will it mature nicely and the horrible aftertaste dissappear? can i save it by reboiling? -adding more sugar?- or do i put it down to experience?

any help advice would be much appreciated
thanks in anticipation
dave

WG.

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 04:19 »
Hi Dave, try it again after one month then, if needs be, after 3 months.  If you followed a proven recipe then I'm sure it'll be good.  Maybe you could post the recipe on here for us all to see??

Welcome to the forum BTW

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 23:39 »
I tried making plum chutney once and there was way too much vinegar in the recipe. The only chutney recipe that's turned out fine for me is apple chutney.
http://www.greatbritishkitchen.co.uk/recipebook/index.php?option=com_rapidrecipe&page=viewrecipe&recipe_id=25&Itemid=2
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

daved

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 19:14 »
well i have made some progress - should have posted sooner !!! sorry
 thankyou for replying
  after leaving the jars for 24 hours awaiting decisions to try and save something from the calamity - on tasting the mix the tarty dry taste all but dissappeared!! so maybe it was the warm vinagar that i was tasting?? or that the ingredients had yet not fully gelled together - i dont know- but i am pleased that the first attempt at chutney has been reasonably successfull--maybe i panicked!!!!!
  so whiskey golf you are hopefully correct that it will get better!

heather, it is strange that you mention that your plum recipe had far too much vinagar in it i was comparing the plum chutney recipe that i followed with other basic chutney recipes and there does seem to be more vinagar used in plum recipes than other chutney recipes that i found

here is the recipe that i followed
3lb damsons
1 1/2 lb cooking apples
1 lb onion
1/2 lb sugar soft brown
1 oz of sultanas
1 oz of seedless raisons
2 pints of vinagar
1 tablespoon of allspice
1 teaspoon of salt

finely chop damsons removing stones finely chop apples and onion add all other ingredients to pan and bring to boil  then simmer for 1 1/2 - 2 hours

chrissie B

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 12:33 »
i have had the same with some of mine some times the longer you leave it the better , in fact i had some tomatoe chutney for about 5 years and not liking the look of it blended the life out it heated it up with some freash vinager and its made the best ever sweet brown sauce .

and a very big welcome to the forum , i havent been here long my self but have already had loads of good advice , hope its the same for you as well .
good luck with the chutney.
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Jeanieblue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 12:04 »
Rhubarb Chutney

1 quart rhubarb, cut into 1" pieces
1 quart chopped onions
4 cups brown sugar
2 cups white or cider vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon allspice
half teaspoon powdered cloves
half teaspoon white pepper (that sneezy stuff !!)

Bring to boil in large pan and simmer until thick & jam-like consistency.

This is absolutely delicious with brie cheese, watercress and nice crusty bread. Move over Jamie Oliver !
Still glowing, still growing, still going strong!

xx
Here's my first attempt at..........

Started by GrannieAnnie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

45 Replies
Last post December 06, 2007, 12:11
by chrissie B
xx
My first attempt

Started by totalnovice on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post September 14, 2009, 12:04
by scabs
xx
Tea recipes required

Started by scabs on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post July 24, 2009, 17:15
by matilda duck
xx
quick recipe required

Started by Zak the Rabbit on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post June 22, 2007, 10:06
by Zak the Rabbit

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 29 queries.