What I did on the plot today - 2014

• 1611 Replies

snowdrops

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2014
« Reply #255 on: February 15, 2014, 20:01 »
Sorry to hear about your greenhouse Muls,it is exceptional this year if that is any consolation.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Muls

• Experienced Member
« Reply #256 on: February 15, 2014, 22:14 »
Thanks RJR and Snowdrop, I am totally stunned about it. It didn't stand a chance when angle irons that are left are bend double !

peedee555

• Experienced Member
« Reply #257 on: February 15, 2014, 23:34 »
so sorry for all that have suffered going to see how much devastation is on ours tomorrow as its supposed to be fine i know our pine forest has suffered which shelters one side of our plots just hope it aint all over place but if it is it is other places sound like they have really suffered

Paul Plots

« Reply #258 on: February 15, 2014, 23:55 »
Well greenhouse has gone, even the door has vanished, all that remains is a huge amount of broken glass.  Not going to replace the greenhouse, its not worth the heartbreak.

I know the feeling - happened to me twice. I really do feel for you. Just clearing up the broken glass is a nightmare revisited.  :( Heart breaking.

2nd time I had the suppliers put the thing up and it was a good make too but it swayed and folded and crunched..... more glass to clear.

3rd time Lucky.... I was all for giving up with greenhouses too up but tried a lean-to greenhouse with safety glass screwed to hefty a block wall. Had it for many years now through several severe storms.

For down on the plot you might be able to pick up a second hand one.... most sites tend to be fairly open so it's always a risk.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

blackberryjam

« Reply #259 on: February 16, 2014, 08:00 »
Popped down yesterday to check on things, I had to go in the main entrance this time because the other gate was obstructed buy something, walking through the lottie see pots fencing and water buts ,blown all over the place someones new greenhouse was on its side and bent out of shape ,I was expecting my blowaway greenhouse, to be just that, blown away but to my surprise it was still there just shook up a bit pots and thing all over the place.
Sorry to hear about your greenhouse Muls you have all taken a battering down there this year, lots of damage.

plum crumble

« Reply #260 on: February 16, 2014, 09:38 »
just pushed my greenhouse back onto its base  :ohmy: - it was saved from going over completely as it was held up at a crazy angle by the very full dalek compost bin. Second time in 2 months.....otherwise, thank goodness, no other damage on the plot. Also admired my lovely new rhubarb shoots
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #261 on: February 16, 2014, 11:38 »
Not a lot ive not been for two days,been helping a friend on his garden. i will go up on sunday to see for any damage :ohmy:
Well ive been up lottie, im minus two shed roofs they were over  there somewhere so got to get some more felt and wood, my neighbours 3 greenhouses smashed to pieces 1 pane of glass and 2 pieces of polycarbonate left,plenty of other damage across the site.Darren
diggity dig dig

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #262 on: February 16, 2014, 15:23 »
I could actually access the plots today!! Looks like access has been available for a few days although there are still some tricky puddle/lakes to navigate and about 1/3 of the plots are still underwater.

Fruit cage still just about standing although some plastic bits need to be replaced (ebay job) and the central piece of shed felting needs to be re-done this week. I am most annoyed at a person rather than the weather though....

My beds are edged in reclaimed material - pieces of wood or big heavy logs etc as I needed to mark off beds and paths - at least until I can get grass in between. When I get there today about half the beds have their heavy logs etc removed and they are all about 2 plots down in straight lines (looking suspiciously like some sort of attempt at a dam). Now *maybe* the wind moved some but the fact it is all the front beds (easiest access) and generally the biggest ones have been moved and they have all ended up in the same place in straight lines and piles makes me think it is more likely to have human causes!

So I spent an hour putting everything back - it's still not quite right and there are some pieces missing I think but it will have to do for now. Far to wet to contemplate anything else. This week's jobs will be repair based I think

Flowertot

« Reply #263 on: February 16, 2014, 17:48 »
The first lovely sunny day in ages  :D Hubby replaced the blown off shed roof covering, I planted the shallots and the kids sowed some trays of mixed lettuce leaves  :)

snowdrops

« Reply #264 on: February 16, 2014, 18:05 »
I could actually access the plots today!! Looks like access has been available for a few days although there are still some tricky puddle/lakes to navigate and about 1/3 of the plots are still underwater.

Fruit cage still just about standing although some plastic bits need to be replaced (ebay job) and the central piece of shed felting needs to be re-done this week. I am most annoyed at a person rather than the weather though....

My beds are edged in reclaimed material - pieces of wood or big heavy logs etc as I needed to mark off beds and paths - at least until I can get grass in between. When I get there today about half the beds have their heavy logs etc removed and they are all about 2 plots down in straight lines (looking suspiciously like some sort of attempt at a dam). Now *maybe* the wind moved some but the fact it is all the front beds (easiest access) and generally the biggest ones have been moved and they have all ended up in the same place in straight lines and piles makes me think it is more likely to have human causes!

So I spent an hour putting everything back - it's still not quite right and there are some pieces missing I think but it will have to do for now. Far to wet to contemplate anything else. This week's jobs will be repair based I think

It might be worth you making some staples out of wire to bend around your logs/wood to anchor them down to make it more difficult for them to 'blow' away again
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 19:33 by snowdrops »

Yana

« Reply #265 on: February 16, 2014, 18:21 »
What a mess!!
Had a walk about yesterday and there were two sheds on their sides, roof felt scattered about and can't workout who it belongs to as several sheds have their felt torn or missing. Water butts, daleks, other bins and netting in disarray everywhere.
My plots weren't too bad, a few bits to tidy up but the worse was a guy who spent last summer turning a bramble ridden plot into an oasis of beauty with raised beds, bark chipping paths and two beautiful poly tunnels. Well I say two poly tunnels........ One had only the frame left standing. Cover completely disappeared and the staging that was inside had been blown over the plot. He's going to be heartbroken.
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #266 on: February 16, 2014, 19:21 »
Messy on our plots but ours are ok, we only lost a compost bin lid. Managed to get the compost that has been stored down here up the hill and that was it as it was wet wet wet under foot.

marcofez

• Experienced Member
  • Land of the Triffids
« Reply #267 on: February 16, 2014, 21:09 »
The wind had damaged 1 of my cloches, overturned the one that was protecting the sprouting broccoli and dumped a homeless chair. There was quite a few shed roof felt needing repairing, judging by the hammers knocking on site! But it was great to be there with the sun shining!  :)

Muls

• Experienced Member
« Reply #268 on: February 16, 2014, 21:23 »
I am going to get a cheap plastic poly on evilbay , put it up in May, take it down oct. I really can't deal with this again.  :(

peedee555

• Experienced Member
« Reply #269 on: February 16, 2014, 22:31 »
well most suprised ( or lucky )no damage at all to the side and front of me no sheds left mine not touched and when i went to carry on with bed 21 for parsnip sowing later it wasnt wet ..something strange going on ..not knocking it but really weird

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2020

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

247 Replies
Last post December 31, 2020, 15:57
by Aidy
xx
What I did on the plot today 2023

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

158 Replies
Last post December 30, 2023, 00:26
by Subversive_plot

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 29 queries.