Christmas hamper

• 88 Replies

LivvyW

• Experienced Member
Re: Christmas hamper
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2009, 20:29 »
Ooh Ladeeez,

Delighted your so quick off the ball with the raspberry vodka/gin. Just make sure you don't try it yourselves before New Year, or you won't be able to give it away.

Elcie, if you do find a similar smaller stopper bottle, please let us know.  Do a good search for the vodka though. I reckon with the fruit and sugar, it really doesn't need to be a top quality tipple! 

I'm very keen on home-made gifts too, the more personal you can make them the better.

Just a thought to make them the hamper really personal,  include a photo of someone special. You even have time to create the shot. Make sure to keep clicking at any family event/get together for the rest of the summer.  I took a beautiful photo of my dad and my daughter (unposed) and framed it. A memory captured like that is truly a priceless and unique gift.

Ikea do a very simple glass clip frame, excellent value and goes with any decor.
Liv.

flowerpower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2009, 12:41 »
I have yet to check, but Lakeland last year did some rather smart jam pot covers with matching tags.

With a bit of coordination, you can achieve the same look with a roll of wrapping paper and matching ribbon. I found a 4m roll of black paper with white polka dots and rolls of black ribbon with dots on it too. With a few metres of cellophane, your cardboard box will look fab! Cellophane is my best friend. It can make ordinary stuff look fab.

I have such a grateful recipient of my Christmas hampers that by the summer, I get the basket back empty! That way, we get to recycle and my elderly friend gets a full basket back the next Christmas.

Good idea about the mini Christmas cakes. Nigella has a recipe to turn them into cupcakes in her Feast book. I might give those a go

Lady Lottie

• I love Hugh Fearnley Wearnley... :o))))
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2009, 12:59 »
What a brilliant thread!  I LOVE, love, love that apron - gorge!

As for what to put the contents in, I was thinking, (mind you only if it was a partic large hamper..) what about old bulb crates?  My local garden centres was selling them for £1 each a while back.  I bought two to put my potatoes in to chit.  Bit of packing straw..few bits of gingham...raffia...ribbon..?

"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves." - Mahatma Gandhi

"Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration." - Lou Erickson, cartoonist and illustrator

Lady Lottie

« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2009, 13:04 »
I have yet to check, but Lakeland last year did some rather smart jam pot covers with matching tags.

With a bit of coordination, you can achieve the same look with a roll of wrapping paper and matching ribbon. I found a 4m roll of black paper with white polka dots and rolls of black ribbon with dots on it too. With a few metres of cellophane, your cardboard box will look fab! Cellophane is my best friend. It can make ordinary stuff look fab.

I have such a grateful recipient of my Christmas hampers that by the summer, I get the basket back empty! That way, we get to recycle and my elderly friend gets a full basket back the next Christmas.

Good idea about the mini Christmas cakes. Nigella has a recipe to turn them into cupcakes in her Feast book. I might give those a go

You are so right about the cellophane - I feel the same way about plain brown paper and twine actually - I think it always looks very wholesome and a bit arty farty crafty - in a nice way!  And you can print on it too.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2009, 14:02 »

You are so right about the cellophane - I feel the same way about plain brown paper and twine actually - I think it always looks very wholesome and a bit arty farty crafty - in a nice way!  And you can print on it too.
[/quote]

Saw Anthea Turner do that once on a programe - potato printing on brown paper for Christmas pressies  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

Lady Lottie

« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2009, 20:13 »
Potatoes?   :ohmy: :blink:Worra waste! :DI stick it in me printer and get me compooter to do it! :lol: :lol:  Or use an ink stamp. :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2009, 20:17 »
 :lol: :lol:

Elcie

« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2009, 23:34 »
I didn't have any luck with the stopper bottles so gave up.  Cheapest for 500ml was about £54 for 24!  Bit pricey as the 1L ones in Ikea are £1.99 each.  I did think that perhaps you could use old white wine vinegar bottles or similar for the vodka for small quantities but you would have to make sure they were very clean before use!  And they are not as nice for pressies as the stopper bottles.

My four bottles of raspberry vodka are under my bed in a box now.  I'm 40 this year in November so planning to have a taster then!

SAMANTHA MOLLY

« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2009, 19:47 »
I bought some 250ml bottles from E bay.
£2.00 each - a little pianfull considering that the ikea ones are huge for the same price, but they look great and will hopefully make the hampers look wonderful and save me a fortune on vodka and gin.
I have about 7 large bottles in the untility wrapped in tin foil!!

We should be keeping a fair few of these :lol: The new bottles arrive tomorrow i will let you know.

S

Lady Lottie

« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2009, 09:52 »
Just had a thought about bottles this morning......as I was lying in bed....how sad is that?! :blink: :D  Anyway!  Do you have a Dunelm store near you?  I haven't been in for aaaaaaaaaaaaaages but last year I did pick up some quite cheap kilner jars in there.  Not sure about stopper bottles but.............Just a thought anyway. :)

Roll Roll

• Experienced Member
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2009, 10:02 »
We got some cheep Kilner jars from Matalan of all places :blink: Big jar for £3.50, half size for £2.00. :)
I may take my time.....but i'll get there in the end.

STEVE

HelenK

« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2009, 11:18 »
We also made Christmas hampers last year as we were super skint, like most people's they went down an absolute storm. In addition to the things other people have made, I made some biscotti from a recipe on the web (there are lots) and added some extra spices and candied peel to make them a bit more Christmassy. I also made two fridge cakes which I cut up into sweet size pieces and bagged up (everyone loves choccies!). Also made good old Peppermint Creams which are super easy to make but not to everyone's taste.

I also had a major scrump from the army base I work on (with permission from the head of the site!) as the site has a few lovely rose bushes that get covered with rosehips. It also has several lovely normal apple and crab apple trees. I made loads of rosehip and crabapple jelly which a lot of people have requested again for this year! It goes so well with pork, turkey, chicken, cheese you name it! I've just found a pear tree so that will no doubt be used somehow!

Also loving that apron, I can't sew for toffee but I do knit a bit so everyone got little bits in their hamper that were appropriate for them, hats, scarves, socks, booties etc.

Basket-wise we bought some of those plastic storage baskets from a cheapo housewares shop up here, I think we got eight for about £4. We got a load of tissue paper and ribbon which we wove through the holes to make them look pretty.

Lady Lottie

« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2009, 11:53 »
We really quite are an enterprising and creative lot on here aren't we?  I'm impressed!  And taking lots of notes!! :D

Moosey

« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2009, 16:37 »
Great thread, thanks Matilda  :D  And loving the ideas, thanks so much everyone for giving me some inspiration  :D

No just got to work out what and how!  :lol:
We all have wings but some of us don't know why.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2009, 16:54 »
What a brilliant thread  :D Loads of ideas here, thank you everyone  :) :)

My daughter and I exchange home made hampers each year and the best things have been:

spicy cranberry relish
poached pears in red wine
flavoured sugar in a kilner jar (lavender, rosemary or vanilla)
blackberry brandy
sloe gin
lemon & lime marmalade
hand made soap
small scrap book of family photos for the year

I'll have to make her an apron like that one -- she'll love it!!

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Hamper Ideas and recipes

Started by soaplady on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

13 Replies
Last post October 16, 2010, 23:43
by Janeymiddlewife
xx
Christmas Puds!

Started by Riala on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

35 Replies
Last post October 01, 2009, 07:37
by SMD66
xx
Christmas Puds

Started by Poolfield2 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

64 Replies
Last post December 18, 2008, 20:28
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
My first Christmas Cake !

Started by Kleftiwallah on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post January 07, 2011, 19:13
by Trillium

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 28 queries.