Infectious Sinusitus

• 4 Replies

Prod

Infectious Sinusitus
« on: September 13, 2013, 10:19 »
Well my run of bad luck continues.  My small flock of Cream & Cotswold Legbars became ill and I lost 3 within a matter of days. Despite a course of anti biotics from the vet, who said it was infectious sinusitus' there was no improvement so, for the very first time, I had to cull. yesterday it was the last of the Cotswolds and today I had to dispatch the last legbar. I have had the legbars since they were a day old and they were not far off laying. I now have a solitary Cream Legbar Cockerel who may or may not survive.

Although culling for the first time was very hard, it was easier I guess as they did not struggle,  but I just could not watch them gasping for air and suffering and I think there is a moment when you just know they will not make it.

Fortunately the legbars were all in a separate enclosure with 8ft fencing and their own coop, not completely free range as my other chickens, but sill a good sized area to roam around.  My partner reakons I should call it a day and I am forbidden to spend another penny on those ******g chickens. Life's a bitch and then you die!!!!!!! :( :( :( :(

helens-hens

Re: Infectious Sinusitus
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 13:32 »
Sending hugs from Cardiff  :(. Its desperately sad to see animals suffering and going downhill. You are very brave for doing what had to be done (I know I would struggle big time in this area).

Will keep all fingers crossed for you that the rest are OK - how many do you have left now?
Helen

Beano

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 14:43 »
How sad. It's awful when they are suffering I do feel sorry for you!
El.

Prod

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 17:06 »
Thanks     Culling was extremely difficult as I have had them from a day old and they were all very tame but I just knew they were not going to make it so.........      I have lost all my legbars which I was hoping to breed which is about half my flock.  I still have a small cluster of pure breds that I have had since day one, a pair of Buff Orpingtons and a trio of rare nankins (about10 weeks) which I want to breed.    I also let one of my broodys hatch and  I now have a BO female and 2 welsummer cross cockerels all 8 weeks.   Fortunately as I said the legbars were totally separated  as I wanted to keep them separate (especially the cockerel)  and breed them.   Thanks for the comments and support.     Just not having a good time lately.    I lost 2 breeding pairs of call ducks and 8 ducklings last month which we are now convinced were stolen......

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 15:03 »
 :(  So sorry to hear about your Legbars Prod.  It is not nice to have to cull any bird but it is best to have the knowledge to be able to save them the extra stress for a car journey.   
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

xx
is it Infectious Coryza ?

Started by marjory_chicken on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 22, 2011, 08:42
by joyfull
sad
Please help,some of my hens may have infectious coryza

Started by Missie on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post November 06, 2009, 15:08
by hillfooter
xx
What is the treatment for infectious coryza Please!

Started by Missie on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 30, 2010, 08:06
by joyfull

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 35 queries.