is it Infectious Coryza ?

• 6 Replies
is it Infectious Coryza ?
« on: September 21, 2011, 15:59 »
hi, i found my black 3 year old silkie hen with one eye very swollen closed, and the other half open. I was thinking she may have Infectious Coryza? but when I hand fed her a mixture of rolled oats, egg, honey and yoghurt, she opened both of them, (though the membranes of one were quite swollen. Her stools are normal and while left she appears' sleepy' and keeps her eyes shut. Any ideas? there is no discharge and the eye lids seem swollen, she has her mouth open but is not sneezing, Im currently self treating her with eye drops and o.7ml of baytril she is a 800g bird.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: is it Infectious Coryza ?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 16:19 »
is her chest rattly? any bubbles coming from her eyes or snotty nostrils?
Staffies are softer than you think.

Casey76

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 16:30 »
Why would you think it is coryza?  Coryza is fairly rare, and as of last year vets were asked to report occurrances of coyza.

Although swelling fo the face can be a symptom, since it is a respiratory infection, I would expect to see sneezing and nasal discharge too.

Eye swelling in silkies I would check to make sure that she hasn't got any scratches on the surface of the cornea due to feathers touching the eye.

As you have an undiagnosed illness i wouldn't treat with antibiotics until she has seen a vet.  Over treating with antibiotics can do more harm than good, especially if you don't know if the antibiotic will be effective in this instance.

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 16:48 »
well, when ever I googled swollen eyes and chickens Coryza would come up! no rattly chest or nasel bubbles just one swollen eye and one that doesnt seem swollen but just one she prefers to keep closed!

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 16:53 »
I would like to try and avoid a vet visit if possible, My rats just had her eye taken out by the vet which I need to pay £90 for at the end of the month, so would like to see if theres something I can do first.

Casey76

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 08:15 »
If she isn't rattling or doesn't have a nasal discharge, i would start to look specifically at eye issues.

You can treat topically with "Golden Eye" eye ointment which is a lubricant and a mild antibiotic, and you can buy it in Boots.

in the mean time, trim any long  or pointy feathers near her eyes and bathe them twice a day with warm saline.

Unless she is severly underweight or not eating at all she doesn't need the special food you are giving her.  If she doesn't want normal layers pellets, then you can make a mash with them by adding a little warm water and waiting until they soften.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 08:42 »
my sabelpoot who had an eye infection - and yes her face did swell up with this (caused by pooh getting in her eye because she wouldn't sleep on a perch) had to have topical antibacterial eye drops - your vet ought to take swabs to see what cultures grow.

sad
Please help,some of my hens may have infectious coryza

Started by Missie on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post November 06, 2009, 15:08
by hillfooter
xx
What is the treatment for infectious coryza Please!

Started by Missie on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 30, 2010, 08:06
by joyfull
xx
coryza?

Started by shetan on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 05, 2011, 21:55
by Sooz
xx
CORYZA????HELP

Started by Jellyhead on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 30, 2007, 21:51
by Jellyhead

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 40 queries.