advise needed

• 5 Replies

sussexchook

• Experienced Member
advise needed
« on: September 02, 2013, 18:47 »
I want to introduce my buff Orpington back to the flock after 9 weeks been with eggs and chicks. Now I put her in the other day then slowly introduced them to her again. she was ok with the smaller hens but as soon as 1 hen roughly the same size as her came out they started fighting really bad there was blood It was a lot worse than introducing a new hen to the flock. im worried that she will never fit in and that I will have to get rid of her

grinling

Re: advise needed
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 21:50 »
is she still with chicks or back laying?
can you do a set up when all the chooks can see one another?
she might not be accepted until she is laying again.

sussexchook

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 09:05 »
she is still with them as I don't want to put her with the others yet what with all the fighting and she has started laying again I have also set it up so that she is in her own little pen inside the main run how long would I have to leave them like that for

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 10:06 »
If it is two hens sorting out the pecking order i would let them get on with it !
I would only separate if one hen was getting a beating from several others.
Best to reintroduce when there is another distraction (food) rather than have one of the top hens come out of the coop to find an old rival in the pecking order.

grinling

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 20:22 »
the fighting is due to her protection of the chicks.
I separated my top hen from the rest as she was plucking a submissive hen for 24 hours. Bluey leaves Roberta alone now.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 14:39 »
Broodies fighting are not your normal pecking order fights, they will fight to the death in my opinion.

How old are the chicks now?  I have taken some broodies away from their chicks early when I think their health is suffering, usually when the chicks are around 8 weeks old.  If you can let the adult birds free range together and have plenty of feeders and drinkers for them that might help.  You will probably find the broody will pace up and down the fencing nearest to her chicks.  The bond is really strong so you might be better taking her away from the chicks each day so she can have some layers pellets made in to a porridge with boiled water.  This will build her back up and give her the right nutrients is she is laying again.  If you keep her away from the chicks for longer each day you will be able to assess when she is ready to join the main flock again.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

xx
advise needed on broody hen

Started by pinkladies on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 22, 2010, 09:26
by Ma Lowe
xx
Advise needed on 9week old girls please

Started by leddenton on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 20, 2011, 13:04
by leddenton
xx
help advise needed re flubenvet/eggs

Started by Loulih on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 10, 2013, 18:14
by Loulih
xx
Advise needed - My chicken tries to breed

Started by ozziemerlin on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post April 16, 2008, 22:36
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 28 queries.