So are Epsom Salts organic or not then...?

• 10 Replies

Lady Lottie

• I love Hugh Fearnley Wearnley... :o))))
So are Epsom Salts organic or not then...?
« on: June 18, 2009, 11:55 »
Like many others I've got dodgy looking foliage on my potatoes, its my first year on my plot and I really want to try and save them (haven't planted much else!)

I want to try and be organic as poss.....have read that Epsom Salts may be a good solution to try and rectify a magnesium deficiency, which is what I think my spuds are suffering from.....RHS categorises Epsom salts as "chemical"..which technically I suppose it is....but it is a naturally occuring mineral, its not like its some hotchpotch of 4 million man made chemcials cooked up in a lab is it..?  I'm confused....am I just being thick...?   Is it or isn't it organic?  Does it even work?  Any thoughts anyone?   I suppose maybe the bigger question is, do i want to save my spuds or not? ::)  And I do....but......oh I dunno....

......someone out there help me please! ::) :lol:
"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves." - Mahatma Gandhi

"Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration." - Lou Erickson, cartoonist and illustrator

Glyn

Re: So are Epsom Salts organic or not then...?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 12:21 »
Yes Epsom Salt is organic,  Magnesium sulfate (or magnesium sulphate) is a chemical compound containing magnesium and sulfate, with the formula MgSO4. In its hydrated form the pH is 6.0 (5.5 to 7.0). It is often encountered as the heptahydrate, MgSO4·7H2O, commonly called Epsom salt. Epsom salt has been traditionally used as a component of bath salts.   Magnesium sulfates are common minerals in geological environments.

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 15:25 »
If it is formed from plant or animal matter yes, if not no.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 16:01 »
What does "Organic" mean ?

HLS

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 16:55 »
Good question, Aunt Sally!

Working on the Soil Association's definition for the sake of argument, they class Epsom Salts (and 'calcareous magnesium rock, such as Dolomitic limestone' and 'magnesium rock, including Kieserite') as minor minerals that may be used 'with justification' by people with Soil Association Organic Certification.  This would mean that for a farm to keep its certification they must be able to show a plan and test results to prove that they have a real need to apply the minerals and aren't just throwing them about willy-nilly.  (The document I used is at http://92.52.112.178/web/sacert/sacertweb.nsf/e8c12cf77637ec6c80256a6900374463/4d7054234b8da20a8025740b0012f83f/$FILE/ATTW3W7S/Soil%20Association%20Organic%20Standards%20for%20Producers%202009.pdf, if anyone's interested.)

Personally, I'd call it organic, especially if you're applying it to correct something you're fairly sure is a magnesium deficiency.  It's your plot, though, so it's up to you!

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 17:15 »
I take organic as coming from something that was living; however, mag sulph occurs naturally as do many chemicals, and if it is not "man-made" I wouldn't worry.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Salmo

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 00:52 »
I get a bit fed up with organic puritans bending the rules. How on earth can magnesium sulphate be organic? It does not occur any more naturally than potassium sulphate or superphosphate. I am sure it will not give your children two heads but it is not organic.

Dolomitic limestone, which comes from Derbyshire, is one organic source of magnesium. Some of the seaweed extracts contain some and would be the best bet for treating suffering plants.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 07:47 »
I take organic as coming from something that was living; however, mag sulph occurs naturally as do many chemicals, and if it is not "man-made" I wouldn't worry.

Many substances of plant origin are very nasty and dangerous  :ohmy:
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 17:17 by Aunt Sally »

Lady Lottie

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 10:08 »
I keep reading that magnesium sulphate DOES occur naturally Salmo, it is a mineral found in water.  And I am not an organic puritan bending any rules - I don't know enough about it to be anything like puritan.  Just trying to understand what is and isn't considered organic that's all and it's a question that has sprung from reading conflicting material - just wondered what the wise and knowledgeable folks on here thought about it cos I really dislike "grey areas", if you know what I mean.

My - possibly incorrect - understanding of "organic" veg growing, is growing food without the use of synthetic lotions, potions, sprays etc. whether they be feeds, herbicides or bug killers.  I just wanted to try and use as few as poss really.  And I accept its not for everyone and have no desire to push my ideas on anyone or start a big debate about organic, to be or not to be.  Still really non the wiser on the Epsom Salts front though! :D  Thanks for the seaweed tip btw...

Definitions of organic on the Web:

relating or belonging to the class of chemical compounds having a carbon basis; "hydrocarbons are organic compounds"
being or relating to or derived from or having properties characteristic of living organisms; "organic life"; "organic growth"; "organic remains found in rock"
involving or affecting physiology or bodily organs; "an organic disease"
of or relating to foodstuff grown or raised without synthetic fertilizers or pesticides or hormones; "organic eggs"; "organic vegetables"; "organic chicken"
simple and healthful and close to nature; "an organic lifestyle"
a fertilizer that is derived from animal or vegetable matter
constituent(a): constitutional in the structure of something (especially your physical makeup)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 10:23 by Lady Lottie »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 15:15 »
Magnesium sulphate (distilled from water) is as organic as sulphur and that's certainly allowed in organic gardening :)

Lady Lottie

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 15:21 »
Thank you MOS.  I've decided, I'm off to the shops to get some. 

xx
Epsom Salts

Started by barbarella on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 23, 2009, 10:17
by barbarella
xx
Epsom Salts

Started by Jim T on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post June 04, 2007, 15:40
by The Dalai Farmer
xx
EPSOM SALTS

Started by Oliver on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 15:57
by noshed
xx
Epsom salts

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 20, 2019, 13:57
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.42 seconds with 31 queries.