Should I be concerned?

• 5 Replies

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
Should I be concerned?
« on: May 26, 2024, 11:13 »
After a good spray with a soapy water mix yesterday afternoon, my broad bean leaves have sort of partially blackened overnight. Doesn't exactly look fatal.....but I don't know what to think.

Mr Dog

Re: Should I be concerned?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2024, 12:11 »
After a good spray with a soapy water mix yesterday afternoon, my broad bean leaves have sort of partially blackened overnight. Doesn't exactly look fatal.....but I don't know what to think.

Saw something quite a while ago from someone who had sprayed his chilli plants with a solution made from a well known washing up liquid brand and a few hours later a number of the plants completely shed their leaves! Fortunately the plants didn't die and grew new leaves.

Anton

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2024, 16:41 »
That's weird, as I always use soapy water to deter asphids, for example, with no ill effects. Maybe you overdid the amount of soap. Or used a particularly aggressive one. I use something called "Savon de Marseilles" (French product) but have used washing-up liquid several times (eco-friendly so not particularly aggressive).

Anton

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2024, 07:50 »
It is strange that it happened. I used just a weak mix of the most famous washing up liquid, as I always do. But this time it just blackened and damaged a lot of leaves. I did it in quite a hot period of the afternoon, so could that have had a different effect to normal. Anyway, the upshot is that they survive and look to be in good health.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2024, 09:18 »
It is strange that it happened. I used just a weak mix of the most famous washing up liquid, as I always do. But this time it just blackened and damaged a lot of leaves. I did it in quite a hot period of the afternoon, so could that have had a different effect to normal. Anyway, the upshot is that they survive and look to be in good health.
It could be that you just provided a bigger squirt of washing up liquid than usual.
Might be worth checking the bottle does it say it’s new and improved??
My wife had used a specific hair dye for years then used the “new & improved” version and had an allergic reaction as a result! Brands change formulas without one knowing exactly what adjustments have been made. In these times of high living costs the manufacturer may have switched to a cheaper ingredient. Good to know they survived!
Keep digging

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2024, 12:42 »
You might be onto something HH. I have just bought a new and bigger 2lt pump up sprayer, and to be honest just squirted some (original formula) into the jug before filling it. Who knows, and anyway i'm sure stranger things have happened. It was a bit of a shock to see them the next morning though.

xx
Concerned about sweetcorn

Started by robbodaveuk on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 22, 2010, 17:37
by Snoop

Page created in 0.479 seconds with 34 queries.