Concerned about sweetcorn

• 6 Replies

robbodaveuk

• Experienced Member
Concerned about sweetcorn
« on: July 22, 2010, 11:30 »
I have grown about 150 sweetcorn plants this year, the same ones as last year and from the same supplier. The plants are between 3 and 5 ft high and the tops are developed and nearly ready to spread their pollen. The problem is, there are no signs of corn cobs on any of the plants. I am sure last year the cobs were forming the same time as the tops developing. Can anyone enlighten me?

Robbo.
If at first you don't succeed, maybe failures your thing.
Don't take life so seriously, it isn't permanent.
Why do Blondes dye their roots black?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Concerned about sweetcorn
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 11:34 »
The silks always are a bit later, and every year I don't think they're gonna make it in time....but they always do ;)

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 12:37 »
Mine aren't showing any signs of doing anything either.

They're pretty sturdy looking but don't seem to be making a move towards actually producing any sweetcorn....

It's not an early variety (as far as I know) but an old one, Stowells Evergreen. 

Think next year to spare my nerves I'll go for an early variety!!

:blink:
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 14:57 »
Always amazes (and panics me) that they start spreading pollen and then a day later the silks appear ...

But I think that the pollen is "all gone" before the later cobs' silks appear so they never make it ... well, not on the early varieties I grow at least.

Springlands

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 15:07 »
Kirsten - I read somewhere (cannot remember where -must be an age thing) that if you stagger the planting of your corn so that they do no all release the pollen at one time you have a better chance of good cobs.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 16:54 »
Makes sense, but I've never had a problem with pollination. Mine are sown at fortnight intervals, but I reckon they have finished pollen-ing after two weeks, so not sure how much benefit the next batch is to the earlier one.

Actually, as it happens, I always start planting down-wind opposite end from the prevailing wind, so I suppose later batches will be helping earlier ones.

Snoop

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 17:37 »
Actually, as it happens, I always start planting down-wind opposite end from the prevailing wind, so I suppose later batches will be helping earlier ones.

I do the same. I also leave the tillers on, as they often produce a later flush of male flowers. Plus, I have been known to steal a male flower from a later batch of sweetcorn and shake it, probably optimistically, over the silks of the previous batch.

xx
Should I be concerned?

Started by Russell Atterbury on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 29, 2024, 12:42
by Russell Atterbury
xx
Sweetcorn in...

Started by slow_worm on Grow Your Own

42 Replies
Last post May 12, 2011, 09:02
by bigben
xx
Sweetcorn

Started by Kim on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 21, 2006, 09:27
by Oliver
xx
sweetcorn

Started by diggerwild on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 30, 2011, 17:24
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.554 seconds with 38 queries.