For peat's sake.

• 4 Replies

japagow

• Experienced Member
  • A yard a day.
For peat's sake.
« on: May 22, 2011, 19:11 »
I try to be ethical and organic in my gardening but the three x 25 litre bags of moss peat with the three leaf clover on them I bought were brilliant for the soil.

Can someone tell me where this moss peat comes from and if I continue using it will I really be threatening peat/boglands and is it really that bad?

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
Re: For peat's sake.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 20:28 »
Hi Japagow, this is always a contentious issue and has been debated many a time on here! This is my opinion - I use products that contain peat because as yet, I haven't found a peat free option that produces the results that work for me although every couple of months I buy peat reduced/peat free to see if things have improved (there's been a marginal improvement but there's a long way to go). In the big scheme of things I'm using so little peat compared to the horticultural giants that I refuse to feel guilty. I garden as organically as I can and  being environmentally friendly is always a priority. I strive to create a garden which flourishes, which looks beautiful (to me anyway!), and which is attractive to all manner of wildlife. I chose plants specifically to attract bees and pollinating insects as so much of their natural habitat is being lost - it's my contribution and don't expect anyone else to follow suit but by the same token I won't feel guilty about using a minute amount of peat to produce a garden that does that. I will welcome with open arms any substitute that does a comparable job to peat but until such a time I shall continue striving to 'do my bit' by using what works for me.

japagow

• Experienced Member
  • A yard a day.
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 19:03 »
Thanks for that. A sensible approach.

grumpyoldb

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 21:53 »
Does anyone know of a national outlet which supplies peat?
After searching the internet I can only find references to peat free.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 22:23 »
I don't know where you are in the country (which is why you need to add a location to your profile) but if you are in the north then these do sell peat
http://beersltd.co.uk/view_product.php?code=UG001020

and these are in Surrey
http://www.plantandlife.com/ProductDetails.aspx?DeptId=2&SubDeptId=19&LevelTwo=30&ProdId=814
and these
http://www.thecompostcentre.co.uk/products.html

xx
peat free or added peat compost

Started by rachelsco on Grow Your Own

39 Replies
Last post June 12, 2011, 13:04
by shokkyy
xx
peat or not

Started by tommyboy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 28, 2008, 08:30
by DD.
xx
peat or not

Started by tommyboy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 28, 2008, 08:33
by DD.
xx
peat!

Started by smc on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 22, 2010, 20:18
by BostonInbred

Page created in 0.287 seconds with 30 queries.