Potato Results - 2009

• 238 Replies

JulieP

• Experienced Member
Re: Potato Results - 2009
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2009, 16:38 »
Harmony - Rubbish - no leaf - very stunted, 1st year on Plot :mad:
I Love My Lottie, My own little hideaway and Gym:)

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2009, 17:41 »
My first year, so no frame of reference, but:

Vivaldi: good crop, though quite small (I put this down to me planting late) and some sign of (?) wire worm or slug. Lovely, tasty spud and I will definitely grow these again - especially if Mr Fothergill is giving freebies again!

Maris Peer: again, good crop of nicely sized tubers. Slightly more wire worm/slug damage. Can't say they were an exceptional spud, as I've only had them mashed at this point.  ::)

Yet to harvest my Pink Fir Apple, Maris Piper and Hunter. Will update.

Have Ulster Classic and Red Duke of York to go in for Christmas.  :)

Goosegirl

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2009, 18:00 »
Potatoes in raised beds on prev. manured soil plus gritty alkaline top soil dug in on heavy, neutral silty soil. Lady Chrystl - good yield per plant, big pots with sllightly "sweet" taste - liked them. Now finishing Sharpe's Express - not as big a yield but still good. Both used as new, chipped and mashed. Still to use main crop Golden Wonder but signs of blight set in. Sprayed with Dithane mid-June and again in July. Just sprayed again with Murphy's copper fungicide as says to repeat every fortnight when signs appear whereas I think the Dithane said to only spray twice. Will have a "furtle" and see if GW are ok later on.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2009, 18:07 »
Pentland Javelin.  Good crop of fair sized potatoes, no slug damage but a little scab.  Nice creamy taste when cooked.
Cheese makes everything better.

digalotty

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2009, 20:18 »
1st early   pentland javelin   reasonable crop  not very big spuds
2nd early  maris peer     a good crop and nice spuds

growing maris peer for crimbo and will also try a couple of desiree
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

HelenK

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2009, 08:48 »
Second early - Romano - three potato tubs full of normal compost and potato fertiliser. Had a great yield from the three tubs, got about 6 kilos in all. Ranged from quite large to dinky. Huge haulms, they didn't flower though.

Tasted great when boiled, though fell to bits a little! Also yummy done as wedges in the oven. Still got Maris Piper and Sante in the ground at the site. Will update when they're ready to come out in mid-October!!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 09:17 by HelenK »

drdave

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2009, 16:31 »
My best were Orla, no scab at all.
I had lots of Sarpo Mira and Axona. Lovely size, but nearly all rotted within a week, from what I now think is wireworm damage.
No blight this year

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2009, 16:37 »
Results so far:

Pentland Javelin (fe) Good flavour, no slugs, modest crop planted mid March and harvested mid June

Maris Bard (fe) absolutely brilliant both in the ground and in morrison pots. Had nearly 3k from four pots and over 10k from 5 tubers in the ground (raised beds) Fab flavour, and the bigger ones have made really superb chips too  :D Highly recommend these to anyone. No slug holes either

Stiil got the others to go ..........................
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2009, 16:53 »
Grew Charlotte on my sandy soil - dug up the last of them today.

About a quarter of the crop damaged by eelworm (although tiny spuds delicious!), the remainder allowed to die down naturally to maximise crop.

Flavour and texture nowhere near as good as when eaten smaller (tip; microwaving with sprig of mint and no water stops them breaking up on the outside)

Might have to try a more eelworm resistant variety next year - any ideas (Early/FE)?
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

lovemyveg

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2009, 18:22 »
Anya - second early.  Fabulous, no slug damage, nor any other problems.  Planted in neutral soil 25 April and have been lifting as needed for the past few weeks.  Flavour excellent, nutty.  We steam ours as new potatoes.  Average of 15-19 potatoes per tuber, so very good yield.  Fed occasionally with fish, blood and bone.  Earthed up, but no other special treatment.  No flowers at all.

International Kidney  -  second early.  In neutral soil, same feeding as above.  Rather bigger potatoes than expected.  No slug damage or any other.  The outer skin is very thin and tends to fall off during cooking, but potato stays intact when steamed and baked.  Very good yield, planted 25 April, so still digging as required.  OK potato but as have limited space will try something else next year.

Quetzal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2009, 22:22 »
First earlies:
Arran Pilot, Charlotte, both ok yields, very tasty.
Belle De Fontenay - slightly later than the APs and the Cs, but probably tastier. On the smallish size, but ok yield.
Rocket - very  swift, but least tasty.

Had the first of our second earlies- Rattes - this evening. Very good yield, quite large, but not as nice as the first earlies.

argaric

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2009, 12:54 »
Soil: reasonable loam, no clay, manured last winter after legumes, spuds in trenchs 8" deep with 2" of compost at the bottom.

Earlies:
  Swift: excellent crop, later on slug and eel word damage but they were the size of baking spuds by then, great for chips and mash
  Rocket: not as good as swift in terms of yield but very good as new pots, not so great when they got a bit older

Mains: don't know yet but getting impatient :)

Regards,
  Argaric

Bozwell

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2009, 20:12 »
grew osprey this year and over whelmed with the results, fed them early on with small amount of potato fertiliser and pelleted poultry manure.
We have found them great all rounder and very very heavy cropping in soil just about PH neutral.  :D
We are digging up the Pentland Squire on Sunday will post the results as and when. ;)
Can you hear voices?

Plot22

• Experienced Member
  • Don't compost your kids!!
Big spud harvest
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2009, 21:54 »
I've dug up 2 pink fir apple plants and have filled a supermarket jute bag with the harvest.  This is my first time with this variety and I certainly wasn't expecting 20 good sized spuds under each plant.  I must have planted at least 50 tubers so Good knows how i'm going to get through them all. :blink:  Do they store well?

Mine always have done - DD.

(Edited rather than quoted to keep things together)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 06:29 by DD. »

scousemouse

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2009, 00:00 »
Clay-ish soil but neutral pH.  Good for growing weeds!  This is only my second year and I planted them a bit too deep (after planting too shallow last year lol) so I didn't earth them up.  None are poking through so that aspect doesn't matter.  Fed the area with blood, fish & bone.

I planted:

Sharpes Express (first early), small plants, only about a 1lb - differs from plant to plant. Very tasty.  Very little slug damage.
International kidney (2nd early) - similar yields, again varying from plant to plant, but again very tasty.  Again very little slug damage.
I've yet to pull up King Edwards (maincrop) and Pink Fir Apple as I'm leaving them in until we work our way down to them.  They seem alright although I know I planted the King Edwards way too close together really.

My main problem is sticking the fork into the middle of a spud!

xx
Potato Results 2010

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

178 Replies
Last post October 24, 2010, 11:45
by cornykev
xx
supplies for 2009

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post December 16, 2008, 16:21
by garddwr
xx
Plans for 2009

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post November 06, 2008, 17:15
by digital_biscuit
xx
My First Crop of 2009

Started by Kate and her Ducks on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 25, 2009, 23:20
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.302 seconds with 29 queries.