Good to eat?

• 30 Replies

Paul Plots

Re: Good to eat?
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 01:46 »
Is it my imagination or were the budgies really posing in your last photo :).  Sounds like you've got a great project there - look forward to it developing

The budgies have become very used to us moving around them so are very easy to photograph. They seem to keep an eye out for me and come up to the wire / door hoping for treats.

The idea of the aviary build is to give me an interest as it's hard to find time for anything much. My parents are enthusiastic too so it should brighten their time up as well.

More than 40 years ago I kept foreign finches, a few budgies and cockatiels but it is so long ago I only have vague memories of my childhood / teenage years hobby.

scan0020.jpg
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

spottymint

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 09:05 »
Budgies are pretty hardy, have kept them for a few years, gave away my last one's a few years back.

Cold is pretty well tolerated by budgies, mine were in an unheated conservatory, winter was never an issue, but summer they baked a bit & they got really stressed, hence the rehoming after one died from heat stroke (windows open, vents open & 2 fans on).

Budgies will breed in cages or indoor aviaries, I have photo's of mine which bred in the conservatory.

When building an aviary, always build in safety porches, so they can't escape.

Babies bred 2008

Topscaff

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 11:15 »
There are a few good forums out there I am a member of these give them ago they are a friendly bunch, if you google BBIA forum and Johnwrenne forum, you would be very welcome regards Topscaff
Mike Rixon

spottymint

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2012, 12:29 »
Paul Plots sent you a Pm.

I can try & help with questions should you need answers, also joining a forum is good way forward as Topscaff has suggested.

I won't be getting birds again, unless we move where we can have an aviary.

Need to clear out my garage bits used for my budgies.

spottymint

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2012, 12:38 »
More pics

Spangle (Dad Double factor spangle) Mum Dominant ? Pied with pale grey wing markings.

More Green spangles with a pied baby like mum poss spangle ?

Paul Plots

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2012, 18:54 »
Those baby budgies are beautiful spottymint! Thanks for sharing the photos.  :)

Thanks, Topscaff, for your advice about joining a forum. I had looked around but didn't know which might be best. I'll have a go this evening.

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2012, 21:35 »
great photos there spottymint.

Paul Plots

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2013, 14:47 »
Thanks for everyones help / interest / support in sorting out my budgies (and me).

I thought I'd let you know I've recently joined this forum "Budgerigars Forum" so have flitted off to pester them instead of driving everyone here to distraction.  :tongue2:

The budgies are doing well.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 15:04 by Paul Plots »

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2013, 15:32 »
Don't feel you can't post more piccies of your feathered friends.  I would like to know how they are getting on and your progress on your aviary.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Paul Plots

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2013, 23:41 »
Don't feel you can't post more piccies of your feathered friends.  I would like to know how they are getting on and your progress on your aviary.   ;)

Thanks I may well do that later on but it'll be pretty slow progress as spare time is in short supply.

The budgies have become remarkably tame considering they are living together in an indoor flight cage. They will happily feed from my hand and one even hops on my arm to get a better chance of nabing the broccoli before the others!

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2013, 09:40 »
We have a bugdie called joey who is 12 years old  :ohmy: i didnt even realise they could live that long but his age doesnt stop him. He also talks not that i could repeat some of what he says on here oh and he barks like a dog lol. Ive had bugdies all my life and they are great little birds and very easy to care for. Mine has never been great at flying though  :wacko: good luck and enjoy

Paul Plots

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2013, 01:50 »
They certainly can live to quite an age if looked after well. My grandmother had hers for years. I can remember she always covered the cage when she watched her favourite tv programmes to stop "Billy" drowning the sound! :lol:

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2013, 12:48 »
Yep mine always pipes up when im on the phone and people always asks what is that noise. As for watching my faverite programme well its the dogs that disturb that they think thats the best time to play fight or get out a sqeaky toy pitty i cant cover them over  :lol:

Paul Plots

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2013, 14:40 »
I've discovered a way of keeping mine quiet:

Chopped hard boiled egg! Not a chirp or shrill when there's a small pot of that available.  ;)

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2013, 15:38 »
Wow my poor joey has never lived i didnt even realise you could feed them that might have to give the old man treat.

xx
So far so good

Started by splash101 on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post May 04, 2012, 22:55
by ANHBUC
xx
Good value?

Started by fd01 on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post June 15, 2012, 14:19
by Little red
xx
Looking good so far!

Started by min200 on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post January 23, 2011, 12:55
by Pol
xx
Traumatic day but so far so good.

Started by Kate and her Ducks on Chicken Chat

25 Replies
Last post May 13, 2013, 16:22
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 32 queries.