Traumatic day but so far so good.

• 25 Replies

Kate and her Ducks

Traumatic day but so far so good.
« on: May 09, 2013, 20:05 »
Well I have anxiously been waiting the arrival of my goslings in the incubator made extra difficult as it is almost impossible to know exactly when I was meant to be expecting them.

This morning one completed its escape from the egg and a second was well on its way. A further 3 had pipped overnight but one had unfortunately died. 3 had yet to pip so off I went to work - best place for me as less chance of interfering.

I got off a little early so I could come and see how they were getting on and came home to find the house cold and dark. Incubators all silent. :( No power anywhere in the house.

Turned out that a power line had been blown down and the power had been out for at least 3 hours. :mad:

Well there were 2 fluffed up but freezing cold, silent, shivering goslings and a lot of really quite cold eggs. :(
Goslings went straight down the jumper to try and warm them up and checked the remaining eggs. Most were cold and dead but remarkably 2 off the pipped eggs still showed signs of life so off they went down the jumper too (quite crowded down there by this point!).

Got the fire going and got the goslings in front of it and they perked up rapidly. Don't know what will come of the others but after a couple of hours the leccy came on and they're back in the inch so they have a chance.

Here are the little ones toasting themselves in front of the wood burner. Probably 2 boys by the way.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 20:06 by Kate and her Ducks »
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Kate and her Ducks

Re: Traumatic day but so far so good.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 20:08 »

« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 20:09 by Kate and her Ducks »

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 21:05 »
 :ohmy:  Not the best start to life but glad you have managed to save some.  Now I am reconsidering getting an incubator and probably will get another broody.  Keep us up to date on their progress.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 22:38 »
Yes, broodies might have their problems but at least they don't lose power without warning!

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 12:15 »
So glad those two made it, they are very cute. How did the two eggs do?

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 12:18 »
Oh they are very very lucky goslings aren't they  :ohmy: Is it the same one that can't stand up in each photo? Is he OK?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 14:50 »
Well the 2 goslings are getting stronger and stronger. It is the same one in both pics that couldn't stand although he is on his feet now although still pretty wobbly.

Unfortunately one of the ones still in the egg has died. The other is hanging on in there so far but doesn't seem to be making any progress so I'm not very hopeful.

I'm shamelessly cuddling these 2 as much as possible so they imprint on me as much as possible. I was hoping to have a pair so I could breed, especially as they are a rare breed but looks like I will be keeping both these boys and if I don't get girls they can be husbands for my white geese.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 15:40 »
What a day Kate!

Those little goslings are so cute though. At least you didn't lose all of them.
It is a shame after lots of hard work, but Nature will have her bizarre way I suppose - even if it means she knocks out the National Grid to do it! :(

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 16:32 »
I know, what will be , will be. It could have been worse in that I could have lost all of them. I guess if it had happened a few days earlier then they would have all died.

These are so funny. They chunter away to each other or me or even the ducks in the distance all the time. They have also started to follow me about when put down on the floor which is very cute.

Here they are having a cuddle and a snooze on my lap after a bit of running about.

ANHBUC

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 18:37 »
Glad they are doing well Kate.  If the other one hasn't managed to hatch give it a bit of a hand as long as you just break the egg around the head area so it can wriggle out when it is ready.   ;)

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 18:47 »
Yes, I tried that but it really just isn't ready to hatch yet. The membranes bleed when touched and if I move it's head a little to the side I can see it hasn't absorbed it's yolk sac yet. Doesn't seem to have made any progress in over 24 hours so clearly just isn't ready.
Guess I just have to wait and see. I will have another little try tomorrow if it makes it through the night. I think I will certainly kill it if I try again tonight.

Thank god the power is on. Would have been a awkward day at work with a half hatched gosling down my bra!

ANHBUC

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 18:56 »
As long as it can breath then hopefully it will be alright.  I opened a quail egg as it was long overdue and thought it was a dud.  I got covered in blood and it was really weak wriggling on its side.  It pulled through though and now HE attacks my feet when I go in their run.  Just protecting his ladies of course when he pecks my hand as I collect the eggs!   ::)   :lol:

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 19:31 »
 :lol:

I had a quail a bit like that!
Brought him back from the brink having mistaken him for dead! Do they ever thank you!

ANHBUC

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 19:47 »
 :lol:  I scoop him up in the feed scoop and he goes mad to peck at my hand.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2013, 05:55 »
Thank god the power is on. Would have been a awkward day at work with a half hatched gosling down my bra!

Only just caught up on this thread.  I know it has been a trauma, but that line did make me laugh.  Just because I don't doubt for a second you would have gone to work that way  :lol:

Glad the two that did hatch are OK and fingers crossed for the third  :)

xx
Good value?

Started by fd01 on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post June 15, 2012, 14:19
by Little red
xx
Looking good so far!

Started by min200 on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post January 23, 2011, 12:55
by Pol
xx
Good to eat?

Started by Paul Plots on Chicken Chat

30 Replies
Last post January 12, 2013, 19:40
by Paul Plots
xx
So far so good

Started by splash101 on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post May 04, 2012, 22:55
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.235 seconds with 38 queries.