Allotment waiting lists and Landshare !

• 20 Replies

Kentish Karl

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2009, 11:45 »
Just spoke to my Parish clerk, they never recieved my email in November because they were having hosting problems. I'm now 6th on the waiting list. Waiting to hear back from the local council to see where I'm on the list.

Kentish Karl

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2009, 13:18 »
Local council phoned me back, I'm 52nd in the waiting list. Surprisingly nobody has been added to the list since the end of November. Person first on the list has been on it for just over two years.

He reacon's I should be able to get a plot sometime next year, although 50 or so on the list he normally finds a lot of those drop out or have moved from the area. They have also got very strict with plot holders. If a plot is over grown they give 3 options, hand the plot back, share the plot, or dig 75% of it within 4 weeks. If none of this is done they are repossesed.

Helen_uk

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2009, 16:28 »
Have faith people!

I was put on 2 lists in July, I was 21ist on one and 42nd on the other.

In November I got a call asking if i still wanted one - er yes!

Basically, the lists in Northampton were so long on every allotment, and on the one where I now have a plot there was a lot of unused overgrown land so the council cleared it and created a whole bunch of new allotments.

I went down the next day after the phone call, I even had a choice of which plot we wanted.

They had called through all of the lists that were nearby that plot and as it happened alot of people didn't want one, or as someone else said moved.

I was told originally it'd be about 2 years, it ended up being 4 months.

Stay Positive - and hassling the councils etc!!

:D  :D
I'm a vegetable virgin! All advice offered very welcome!!

bunch29

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2009, 17:09 »
Hi guys

So many of us with the same problems then ! Landshare is very varied basically if land owners have spare land they can register with them to find people to grow on it and the land comes in all shapes and sizes and depending on the land owner you may be able to keep live stock ! Some people just have big gardens and want home grown but dont have the time so they let people use it and share the produce! also you can register as a grower without land so pleases everyone very good idea if it works. They have also started a group you can join and and talk to people on face book which is really good.

With reagrds to council waiting lists sounds like I am going to have to start nagging for more land but i thought there had to be 6 or more of you to do that anyone know if thats true ?

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2009, 16:58 »
My plot in on a privately owned allotment site.  Most of the plots have gone back to wilderness because they are not used.  I find it so disheartening and frustrating to hear of other peoples struggle to get a site when these plots are just sitting there.  I do  not know who the owners are or how to find out that information.  I was thinking of approaching the Parish Council to let them know of the situation.  My thought is for the Parish Council to put out an appeal to the owners to come forward, with the idea of putting up the plots for rent by local people to use.  I would be grateful of any advice on how to do this from any one who has expert knowledge of private allotments or has done something similiar.

Another benefit would be a bit more company on the site!!!
Wash your hands, stay at home, distance yourself

jonewer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2009, 18:08 »
Sounds like I'm quite lucky.

Just went and chose one yesterday, booked it this morning. There were well over a hundred vacant sites to chose from.

There are however loads of them in the borough. There are 922 allotments in my borough  :shock: Guess it just depends on which borough you live in and how it was planned...

xx
Allotment waiting lists !!!!!1

Started by Chappers on Grow Your Own

76 Replies
Last post July 13, 2008, 22:57
by woodburner
xx
Waiting Lists and Plot Inspections

Started by BAK on Grow Your Own

53 Replies
Last post February 01, 2008, 16:14
by jolly jen
xx
Waiting for an allotment in Wakefield

Started by Rich72 on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post August 03, 2011, 20:08
by Jamie Butterworth
xx
Allotment waiting list

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post October 17, 2008, 21:10
by gobs

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 28 queries.