Waiting for an allotment in Wakefield

• 30 Replies

Rich72

• Experienced Member
Waiting for an allotment in Wakefield
« on: July 26, 2011, 11:12 »
Hello all

I have been on a waiting list for an allotment in Wakefield for ages. I keep contacting the office but they wont tell me where I am on the list, how often allotments become vacant etc. I am currently growing veg in my own tiny garden but am itching to get out there and do it on a larger scale. Does anyone have an allotment in Wakefield they would be willing to share? or anyone have any ideas on getting one quicker.

Thanks

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Waiting for an allotment in Wakefield
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 15:19 »
You might be better seeing if you could find an elderly person who has a garden they can't manage themselves.  They might let you use part for an allotment in exchange for you keeping all of their garden tidy and of course a few veggies thrown in.

Not sure how you would find them but help the aged might be a good place to start or your local council who might have elderly tennants in the same situation.

Good Luck
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 15:32 »
Does anyone have an allotment in Wakefield they would be willing to share?

All council run allotment sites completely ban sub letting of plots.  The tenant would get evicted !

You might be better seeing if you could find an elderly person who has a garden they can't manage themselves.  They might let you use part for an allotment in exchange for you keeping all of their garden tidy and of course a few veggies thrown in.

Not sure how you would find them

Try Landshare

http://www.landshare.net/

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 16:30 »

Not being allowed to see the waiting smacks of big brother tactics.  Perhaps you should suggest it would ally your suspicions about letting their 'chums' jump the list !   I think that would get them shifting.   ::)  Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 16:48 »
There is no right to "see" the waiting list as the names and addresses would be covered by the data protection act but under freedom of information you should be told how many are on the list and where you are on it.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 18:37 »
Aunt Sally is completely correct. 

The names and contact details of the people on the list are personal information, which is held subject to the provisions of the DPA.  Disclosure of those details is only permitted for certain purposes - and that is not one of them.  Unauthorised disclosure is a criminal offence ...

But, as AS also said, you should be told where you are on the waiting list (if all else fails, you are entitled to make a subject access request under the DPA for information relating to your position although there may be a small fee), and under the FoI Act you can ask questions about the length of the list and (if it doesn't take too much time to compile the answer) what the annual turnover is.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 19:11 »
Which allotment waiting list are you on?

Ive phoned up numerous times and theyve let me kow where i am on each waiting list :unsure:
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

AnneB

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 23:38 »
Also worth clarifying whether it is one list for all Wakefield sites or if they have a separate waiting list for each site.   I am in nearby Bradford.  The waiting list for the 2 sites closest to me was up to 160 people.  However, by being prepared to travel by car (10 min journey each way) I got a plot almost straight away.  Admittedly it was hideously overgrown with mare's tail, 2 sycamore trees, lots of broken glass and old carpet.  It is also in what would be described as a more challenging area with plenty of anti social behaviour.  However from what we understand the other sites closer to home suffer from theft and vandalism in just the same way despite being in a supposedly 'nice' area.

I did find that the council staff were quite hard pressed for time.  It is worth being friendly towards them and making sure they understand you are keen and know what work is required to maintain an allotment.   I got quite frustrated that they didn't seem to have a spreadsheet for waiting lists and would only let me have a place on a maximum of 3, but all turned out good in the end.

I now have a lovely productive plot on a small friendly site.  Good luck in your quest for the same.

Rich72

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 11:19 »
Thanks for replies guys.

Jamie...Im on waiting list for Stanley area.....Lee Moor Lane, Aberford Road and Ferry Lane.

Have joined landshare now hopefully will have myself a decent plot soon

whiskywill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 14:46 »

All council run allotment sites completely ban sub letting of plots.  The tenant would get evicted !

True in some cases. This is an extract from Brighton and Hove Council's policy on sub letting and, it appears, that this applies in many council areas.
"The tenant may share cultivation by registering a co-worker   . Co-workers must sign an agreement, countersigned by the tenant and sent to the council."   

Unfortunately the strict ban on sub letting applies in Wakefield.
Any day above ground is a good day.

Mr Rotavator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 15:39 »

True in some cases. This is an extract from Brighton and Hove Council's policy on sub letting and, it appears, that this applies in many council areas.
"The tenant may share cultivation by registering a co-worker   . Co-workers must sign an agreement, countersigned by the tenant and sent to the council."   

Unfortunately the strict ban on sub letting applies in Wakefield.

Your quote has nothing to do with sub-letting. It refers to co-worker(s); i.e. someone who shares the plot with the registered tenant (the other half, family member...), not a sub-tenant.

Rich72

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 17:39 »
Thanks to Aunt Sally.....I tried landshare and have a patch! Its relatively small at 36ft x 36ft but more than adequate for me.

Will take some work before its ready for planting up but hey

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 17:41 »
Well done Rich.

That's actually not a bad size to begin with, a lot of plot holders have smaller than that.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Rich72

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 17:55 »
Cheers DD

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 18:18 »
My allotment plot is smaller than that  :ohmy:

Lucky you  :)

xx
Allotment waiting list

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post October 17, 2008, 21:10
by gobs
xx
Allotment waiting lists !!!!!1

Started by Chappers on Grow Your Own

76 Replies
Last post July 13, 2008, 22:57
by woodburner
xx
Allotment waiting lists and Landshare !

Started by bunch29 on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post January 09, 2009, 18:08
by jonewer
xx
Pics of my small garden plot (waiting for an allotment)

Started by Sir Growalot on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 10, 2008, 18:38
by peapod

Page created in 0.538 seconds with 37 queries.