making compost

• 12 Replies

jambop

making compost
« on: April 02, 2019, 18:29 »
I got another free compost bin today from the local council .. really well made and sturdy made in Austria from recycled polyethylene  plastic. Anyway I did not have too much in the way of composting material to hand plenty of green and lots of strawy farmyard muck but not much other brown material. So to try to make my compost I mixed layers of mossy thatch that had been ripped out of the lawn with farmyard muck some compost from another bin and a good sprinkling of chicken manure ( rehydrated pellets) as an activator gave it a bit of a watering. What are the chances I will get this to work? I have a mound of mossy thatch to get composted and am thinking I may have to invest in a shredder to get brown material from small branches and perhaps old cardboard. Composting is actually quite scientific I think anybody know the secret and are willing to divulge  :lol:

Pescador

Re: making compost
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 18:46 »
Don't get too concerned, I just chuck everything onto the heap and let nature do the rest.
I had 3 bins, approx. one cubic meter each and I'd fill and empty each of these over 12 months using this "technique"!
20161030_102706 (1).jpg
Every Pickle Helps!

Paul's Preserves and Pickles.

AussieInFrance

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 19:46 »
Hi John

As in gardening generally, there are many methods of composting. You can choose between hot or cold composting. If cold then it takes months to break down enough to be crumbly; lengthy process and produces small quantities. Hot compost on the other hand is very fast. We produce about a cubic metre every 3 weeks, Mixing roughly 50% greens to 50% browns. The mix is important, as you point out it is a scientific process, but you can vary it to 60/40 and still be successful. For greens, we use horse manure mixed with straw, bucket of coffee grounds from cafe, comfrey leaves, nettles incl roots. For browns, stored autumn leaves and brown cardboard. It's turned (and aerated by doing so) in to another bin every 3 days once it reaches 60%. This ensures harmful pathogens and weed seeds are killed. After about the third turn, the temp drops off and the fungi go to work. We use the no-dig method of gardening and so our efforts are concentrated on making good quality compost to feed the soil. Check out the Berkely method, there's plenty of info on Utube or email me for more info if you wish.
Grow lights for early germination;
Blow away on NE facing terrace for hardening off;
Small potager 90sq.m at 300metres
No-dig method, intensive planting and incorporating permaculture principles.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 10:14 »
I find shredded paper is good for adding "browns". I get mine by the sackful from a friend who works in an office
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Grubbypaws

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 13:04 »
Invest in a shredder if you have trees/shrubs that you prune. We have had ours for years. I keep all the brown shreddings in a separate container and add a layer to the compost heap after adding the grass from mowing the lawn. We also add coffee grounds, tea bags and other kitchen waste but beware DO NOT ADD ANYTHING THAT A RAT WOULD FIND EDIBLE. Compost heaps with edible kitchen waste are a magnet to rats; they can survive on very little.

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 18:17 »
we only use horse manure mixed with straw no cardboard we fill several bins with veg waste and use that after about a year on open ground on the allotment we are going to try growing green manures this season to see if this improve our soil

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2019, 13:47 »
I have been trying to make decent compost for at least a couple of years with disappointingly meagre results so far. I throw fruit and veggie waste plus shredded paper into it plus the occasional scoop of cow manure, but it takes ages to break down. How do you make your compost heat up?

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 16:52 »
I am sure mine never really heats up however I compost mine over 3 years with free horse manure from the stables with their bedding of wood shavings , turning it once a year!  Seems to work.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2019, 18:11 »
You need a heap of around 1m3 to get the temperature up and a good mix of greens and browns. I also give my heap a few turns each year and give it a liberal doseage of the golden liquid whenever it's available.

AussieInFrance

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2019, 19:52 »
I have been trying to make decent compost for at least a couple of years with disappointingly meagre results so far. I throw fruit and veggie waste plus shredded paper into it plus the occasional scoop of cow manure, but it takes ages to break down. How do you make your compost heat up?

Hi Vagabond

Getting compost to heat to 60-65%C is the key. Firstly, it's about mass. The batch of compost is made (built) in one go. So mass your greens and browns, and start layering from the ground up. Small amounts, ie anything less than cubic metre, doesn't generate enough heat to do the job. One layer of greens about 8" thick, followed by another of browns, add water. The micro-organisms are water-borne so they need it wet but not soaking. Water displaces air, and air is critical. Cover to keep rain off. If you  monitor the heat you will notice it starting on day 2, after it reaches 60-65%, then it's time to turn it into another bin. Mine are made of pallets, so i just fork it over into the adjacent bin. Forking allows it to aerate and you move the outside material into the middle. No need to be exact just intentional in mixing. Once it reaches the temp again, turn it again. Anything higher than 65% and it will start to burn off the 'good bugs'. HTH

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2019, 17:13 »
Keeping the compost suitably damp also deters rats or other wildlife from setting up home in it.  ;)

snowdrops

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2019, 18:35 »
Google the Berkeley method of composting & get yourself a compost thermometer off eBay, about £10. It’s a fair bit of work but with your Darlek bins you would need to fill one completely then take off the bin & turn the compos5 back into it or into the next one & so on .
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2019, 12:41 »
Many thanks for those tips. Not sure if I'll be able to follow them, as I just use a wheelie bin with the bottom cut off and holes drilled in it. I don't have a lot of room where I have my raised beds.

sad
Making Compost

Started by ember on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 13:37
by ember
xx
making compost

Started by fletcherbaker on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 22:10
by Scullion
xx
Making Compost

Started by jonti007 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post December 12, 2009, 07:43
by Leedsniner
xx
Making compost

Started by Windsong on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post March 27, 2011, 22:03
by Windsong

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 41 queries.