Making Compost

• 10 Replies

ember

Making Compost
« on: April 27, 2011, 13:31 »
Help desperately needed to correct composting disaster.  ??? :(

I have been using a 'Dalek' Bin into which I have put general kitchen waste (peelings, cores, flour bags, etc), scruntched up newspaper, the odd bit of plain cardboard, allotment waste (leaves, annual weeds, drownded docks, etc), a little rabbit and gerbil used straw and fresh chicken manure. Its been stirred up regularly, with a stick. It has had occassional bouts of appearing either dry or soggy, which have been addressed by adding wet or dry as needed. I've left the little door at the bottom slightly open to let air in. This bin has been developing (or not) for the last 12 months or so.

My other 'Dalek' of inherited compost will be empty very shortly, so, I thought 'Lets have a look at this stuff' I peeped up throught the little door into what seems like uncomposted stuff,  :unsure: :(. I cannot understand why this has happened  :blush:. Any ideas out there???

My current plan is to tip the lot into one of my square pallet bins with what is left of my manure, stir the lot up, cover it and see what happens. The other square bin is currently partly filled with soil that I have been clearing and am using to raise ground levels in some areas of the plot. This is likely to be the case for at least another 6 months or so.

Thanks in advance for the advice.
M
When I arrived, there were so many docks, I thought it was Southampton.

Lardman

Re: Making Compost
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 13:49 »
I have a couple of daleks and can't get on with them either so you're not alone, although some on here swear by them.

I've come to the conclusion you just can't get enough air into them without moving the contents out and then refilling and emptying one into another is major hassle.  Once I have the space cleared I'll be going back to a traditional heap, which I can turn properly.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 14:01 »
It will always be drier nearer the hatch because that area gets the most air, and I'm not quite sure how effective a stick would be at keeping it mixed (I use a special compost-stirring tool which has a collapsible "V" at the business end which you use to pull stuff up from near the bottom.)

You haven't specifically mentioned watering it or any sort of accelerator (pee, sprinkling of dried chicken poo, purpose bought compost accelerator are only 3 possibilities.)

If you want to get some more air into it drill small holes (no more than 3/8" across) at intervals near the base (a wood-boring bit does the job easily.)

Daleks are very easy to empty (like making sand-pies!) although obviously shovelling it all back in takes a bit longer!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

GreenOwl

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 16:31 »
I wouldn't leave the door at the bottom ajar for air, it'll dry out and it doesn't need it. 

Yes, pull the dalek off, give it a mix and shovel the uncomposted stuff back in again, adding wet or dry stuff as appropriate.  You might find its only the area by the door that's uncomposted.  Its unlikely to be all rotted down anyway, heaps don't generally rot evenly.

Patch

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 18:40 »
Hello ember (M)  :)

According to the Expert books by Dr D.G. Hessayon you should go for maximum insulation, so I wouldn't leave the door at the bottom open to let air in.  He also suggests that the layers are not turned and not to drive in holes and to leave well alone, although this maybe debatable among some allotmenters on here.

Try a natural activator like comfrey or even nettle tops which may rot the items down quicker, make sure the bins are in a position where they have maximum possible sunlight for the heat to be collected and even throw an old carpet or bubble wrap over the bin to maximise insulation.

And, of course, don't forget the advice on this website either:

http://www.allotment-garden.org/garden/Composting_Compost/index.php

:)

ember

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 12:46 »
Thank-you very much for your replies.  :happy: I haven't had a chance to do anything with the compost as yet as I've been away.
I'm going to need more compost fairly soon so I think I shall lift the Dalek and have a good look at what there is  :blink:, guess it could be a smelly job  :tongue2:, and take it from there using your advice.
JayG - I should have been more specific I've put comfrey in during the year (very little about at present though) and where would any of us be without a compost bin for 'personal relief'  :D, my 'stick' is a proper compost stirer as you described though I must admit I don't find it the easiest of tools to use.  :). Love the comparison with sand pies, the smell while clearing a patch recently really reminded me of mud pie making as a kid. :happy:
Patch - I'm so please you mentioned full sunshine as that is where it sits and I shall certainly bear in mind the extra wrapping as this site can be quite windy and cool at times.
Will let you know what I discover  and thanks again.

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 12:59 »
I have 3  Dalek bins and have to say get on very well with them. Mind you, I started by filling one then left it to settle, then started another. After 6 months or so, I lifted off the bins and mixed the two together put it back in a single Dalek and left until halved in volume. I then remove the bin again and turn the good looking compost into a 'holding' Dalek, mixed the unrotted or partially rotted remains with the next 'settling' bin, and started my third one off.

This way I have a continuous supply of compost if needed. The process is certainly quicker in the summer  :D. The 3 daleks are at home and only have kitchen vegetable waste (not cooked) some grass if the bunnies haven't eaten it and chicken poo.

My allotment heap is completely different
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

bigben

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 14:46 »
I have 3 daleks and a pallet bin. I found the pallet bin did not heat up very well and let in enough light to allow stuff to continue growing rather than rot down. I now start stuff in the daleks and after it rots to half the size I move it into the next one and keep doing this until this is full, then move into the next and finally into the pallet bin. By which time it is almost ready to use. I think moving it often is a big factor in getting it to compost down - assuming you start with a good mix of green and browns and enough water of course.

Alec_Macpherson

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 01:40 »
a little rabbit and gerbil used straw

Speaking of which, I have access to multiple packs of rabbit sharn each week.  Does it, like horse manure, need a year of standing or can I bung it straight in?
Tra-la-la-li-la.

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 09:42 »
I would let it rot down some before using it, unless you were burying in in say a bean trench when it might be ok. You don't want young plants damaged by it.

ember

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 13:37 »
Help desperately needed to correct composting disaster.  ??? :(

Will let you know what I discover  and thanks again

Have gottten round to having a proper look and sort. Well oh has  :happy:
The composting material, I'm relucatant to call it compost at the moment, was in very distinct layers. some well rotted down, some not quite so. (By the time we came to looking at it all the wet and slimy stuff had disappeared  :D.) So its been given a good mix up, a drink of water and transfered to another bin, where, hoefully it will mature nicely while I reflect on what went wrong and how to correct it. All your comments have been most welcome.

M

xx
Making Compost

Started by jonti007 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post December 12, 2009, 07:43
by Leedsniner
xx
Making compost

Started by Windsong on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post March 27, 2011, 22:03
by Windsong
xx
making compost

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 09, 2019, 12:41
by Vagabond
xx
making compost

Started by fletcherbaker on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 22:10
by Scullion

Page created in 0.426 seconds with 37 queries.