Honeyberry

• 12 Replies

pixie1nigel

Honeyberry
« on: November 29, 2011, 23:38 »
Hi folks, once again out of my depth. Fancy growing Lonicera Caerulea, finding a mass of differing information as to the necessary for pollination. Some sites say you need more than one variety for pollination, some just more than one plant, one even said a male and a female was necessary! Don't hold that one in much esteem , but doe anyone actually know?.Help please.

seedman

• Experienced Member
Re: Honeyberry
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 13:24 »
Hi yes they are male and female plants so you will require 2 one of each,hope the paragraph below helps  :)p.s below is of the net not mine...

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=728

[edited to replace copy and paste from another website with the url - Yorkie :) ]
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 17:33 by Yorkie »
Give me a sense of humor, Lord,
Give me the grace to see a joke,
To get some humour out of life,
And pass it on to other folk.
Happy new year to you all xx

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 13:43 »
Seedman, could you please attribute your quote if you lifted the text off a web page? :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

pixie1nigel

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 15:02 »
O.k that sheds a little light. Have seen them sold as pairs, and do appreciate that they are newish to this country, but would like vendors to take a little more responsibility in marketing and sell individual male and female plants. Further research suggests that 1 male to 5 female is a good ratio, and perhaps this could be marketed and explained prominently.

seedman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 15:19 »
Seedman, could you please attribute your quote if you lifted the text off a web page? :)
Sorry about that did not think i will next time cant remember where i got it from  :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 17:32 »
Sorry about that did not think i will next time cant remember where i got it from  :)

It would not have been difficult to track down - you just copy the first sentence and put it in a web engine.  I did that for you and the first result was the right one.

I have now edited your post so that it has the weblink rather than the copied text :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

seedman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 20:31 »

It would not have been difficult to track down - you just copy the first sentence and put it in a web engine.  I did that for you and the first result was the right one.

Thankyou  :)

I have now edited your post so that it has the weblink rather than the copied text :)

pixie1nigel

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 21:57 »
Thanks seedman, you put me on the right track and I have learnt a little of etiquette and correct procedure when posting. Not easy for someone that was computer illiterate not so long ago.     

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 22:03 »
Don't worry, we all have to start somewhere  ;) :D

seedman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 07:57 »
Hope all goes well with the honey berry taste like blueberry with a honey after taste   :)

pixie1nigel

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 14:34 »
Further advice from the suppliers of this newcomer to U.K. , many whom have bothered to consult with the growers, leads me to think that the advice from The RHS may be flawed.
It is new, and modern varieties are  deemed to be self fertile, so cannot be dioecious, though all information given to me suggests that multiple planting will give increased pollination.
  Plant breeding is possibly in advance to our ability to revue care and cultivation advice.

pixie1nigel

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 13:21 »
I have just received a lovely email From The RHS, they are to change the growing advice mentioned on this subject. The advice given to me by the good  people @otterfarm, and Pomona Fruits is indeed correct. Lonicere Caerulea is not dioecious, it is self fertile but pollination will be greatly improved by growing more than one specimen.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 18:50 »
I have just received a lovely email From The RHS, they are to change the growing advice mentioned on this subject. The advice given to me by the good  people @otterfarm, and Pomona Fruits is indeed correct. Lonicere Caerulea is not dioecious, it is self fertile but pollination will be greatly improved by growing more than one specimen.

Glad you had a definitive answer  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Honeyberry

Started by lacewing on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 18, 2012, 17:40
by shokkyy
xx
Honeyberry

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 29, 2009, 16:01
by sclarke624
xx
Honeyberry

Started by LottyLouis on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 27, 2015, 00:38
by Kajazy
xx
Honeyberry....help....

Started by emptydraw on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 20:28
by Quetzal

Page created in 0.344 seconds with 36 queries.