Is Leafmould acidic?

• 5 Replies

Plot 6B

• NRAA Website
Is Leafmould acidic?
« on: December 05, 2011, 12:42 »
We had a large quanity of fairly decomposed Leafmould delivered to our site and as it was free both my plots now have a eight inch layer over them.
The old and wise sages at the site now say I should not have done this where I am putting my Beans, Peas and Brassicas next season as leafmould is acidic and these type 0f vegetables don't like this type of soil! I know this and that is why I always Lime..............

But is Leafmould acidic????????????
The fruits of success come from hard work!
A.K.A. Nige2plots

allotmentor

• Allotmentor
Re: Is Leafmould acidic?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 13:06 »
I think it depends on what sort of leaves - conifers/evergreens will be more acidic than deciduous trees. I think the major potential problem with leafmould is that it can have a fairly high ratio of carbon to nitrogen if it is not well rotted. Microorganisms working to break it down can then pull nitrogen from the soil, depleting the levels of this important element in the soil (this is how those little bales of straw that you put into your pond to prevent algae work - microorganisms pull nitrogen from the water which means that the algae don't have enough to carry on growing and the water clears).

But if it's done, I'd leave it. Make sure you keep fertility levels up (peas and beans will make their own nitrogen) and look forward to some beautifully crumbly soil in a year or so's time when the worms have pulled it into the soil.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 13:15 by allotmentor »
Creator of the free Allotmentor veg garden/plot planner

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 13:45 »
I think that leaves are decomposed by funghi rather than bacteria, so should not deplete nitrogen levels in the soil.
Best not to use pine needles as they are acidic though.

and Nige - I've done the same on 3 of my beds, and will sprinkle calcified sea weed in the spring when I fork it in ................so - if it's wrong...YOU ARE NOT ALONE  :blink:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 14:23 »
Partially decomposed leaves will be fairly acidic as the production of organic acids is part of the decomposition process, but these in turn are broken down later in the process so "finished" leaf mould should be near enough neutral (this is also true even for pine needles.)

It therefore depends on how well rotted your leaf mould was, but I wouldn't worry about it anyway - it's only a temporary effect and after a winter sat on your lotty a very minor one I would have thought.  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 19:57 »
I use partially rotted leaf mold to help maintain the acidity of the soil in the blueberry bed, (supplemented by flowers of sulphur)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Plot 6B

• NRAA Website
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 12:50 »
Thank you all for your in-depth replies!
I will move some of the layer but not all of it and I will Lime in the Spring where required.

xx
My Acidic Soil

Started by Markw on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 09, 2015, 17:39
by Markw
xx
acidic soil

Started by 44hexx on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 29, 2010, 22:11
by Babstreefern
xx
Acidic soil...

Started by gavinjconway on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post October 18, 2012, 18:39
by gavinjconway
smiley
Leafmould

Started by SPUDMIESTER on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 01, 2011, 20:23
by Ma and Pa Snip

Page created in 0.444 seconds with 37 queries.