Submissive Hen Pecked Lavender Pekin - Blood drawn!!!

• 5 Replies

peachesandclive

Hi all,
advice please, we bought a Lavender Pekin last Sunday and she has been pecked mercilessly since then by at least two of our three large hens (well established). However the week before we introduced a lace wing bantam who, despite some pecking, managed to integrate pretty quickly.
The Pekin just flattens herself and gets pecked so badly that she now has a cut at the back of her head. She doesn't seem to have the 'escape' gene!
She has been separated for several days now, she has the run of the garden and the others can see her all the time, I have been putting mixed corn for her next to the run in which the others are, so that they can see her. Despite this they still go for her when they are allowed to be together.
Any ideas? I notice that there are some suggestions re diet... They get scraps, oyster shell, pellets and mixed corn along with a good supply of fresh water....
Help!
Peachesandclive

Vember

Re: Submissive Hen Pecked Lavender Pekin - Blood drawn!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 20:25 »
Hi Peachesandclive

Poor Pekin :(

Might be an idea to keep her separate for a week or two :(
Also some purple spray on the red area (if still red when you reintroduce) might help stop any repeat attacks :)

You can get purple spray from most horsey feed supply type places :)

Sarah :D

nicchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 20:31 »
You can also put something on them that tastes nasty. I have used a teatree and coconut cleanser that is safe enough for babies to eat. My mate doesn't agree with putting stuff on that might stop them preening but I feel that it does stop them getting a beating. Nic.

mumsy

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 21:40 »
Its not really a good idea to introduce one on its own :(   Some may well be ok,  but usually not.   It will take alot longer for her to integrate, if she has others rushing at her.  Purple spray the wound & keep separated for a while longer (til healed at least), then introduce for a few minutes at a time, while watching, so you  can intervene if necessary.  Otherwise you could get her a friend to keep her company an introduce together.

peachesandclive

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 11:25 »
Thank you for your comments.

Today I've got the pekin, her bantam friend (who is not picked on other than the odd peck) plus one of our big hens all in the garden with the 2 bullies shut in the run.

I've been into the run and held the two bullies down a couple of times, I've read that if they are made to be submissive (as though I was a cockerel) they'll think I'm top chicken and stop bullying. We'll see...

Part of me thinks just let them get on with it, but I just can't stand by and watch her be pecked half to death - can a hen be pecked to death, by the way?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 11:58 »
A hen certainly can be pecked to death  :(

Another trick to this could be to give the new girl(s) the run as their territory and evict the bully girls for a week or two into a small pen.  The run will then become the new girl's territory and the bullies will not be on their home ground when re-introduced.

xx
Serious blood drawn feather pecking!

Started by joolz68 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post February 10, 2014, 08:08
by joyfull
xx
breeding cuckoo pekin cockerel with lavender hen

Started by mwncigirl on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 16, 2011, 20:11
by Casey76
xx
my Pekin X Dutch and blue pekin

Started by new_2_veg on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 01, 2008, 18:22
by Jellyhead
sad
hen pecked??

Started by cluckie on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 24, 2011, 18:23
by bantam novice

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 34 queries.