feta cheese

• 16 Replies

chrissie B

feta cheese
« on: January 12, 2011, 17:31 »
 ;)hubby was in the taverna the other day and a bloke came in with feta cheese now hubbys not a lover of feta but he said this one was so creamy and not too salty so we are getting a small ti to bring back for 25 euros yum ,
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Mosslane

• andjakemakes3
Re: feta cheese
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 18:17 »
That is like Bulgaria. The white cheese there is like feta and varies from really crumbly and salty to okish. We found one called fetama and it is beautiful, like a stiff kind of phil### in a block. Lovely!
The reward of a thing well done is to have done it....

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 20:14 »
;)hubby was in the taverna the other day and a bloke came in with feta cheese now hubbys not a lover of feta but he said this one was so creamy and not too salty so we are getting a small ti to bring back for 25 euros yum ,
chrissie b

Lucky you. I love feta, but the ones you get here tend to be a bit sharp. Great for baking with peppers, onions, garlic, olives and olive oil. With nice bread to dip in the juices. Or saganaki. Or spinach pie.

I'd love to get my hands on some nice stuff. Enjoy yours. :)

Only 4 months to Greek hols....and lots of feta!  :D

chrissie B

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 14:44 »
the stuff you get in uk is rubbish and in such small packs there must be some where to get a decent piece , have you tryed the paprika dip its great i put it in all sorts have a try and it keeps for ever in the fridge .
chrissie b

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 22:12 »
the stuff you get in uk is rubbish and in such small packs there must be some where to get a decent piece , have you tryed the paprika dip its great i put it in all sorts have a try and it keeps for ever in the fridge .
chrissie b

Costco sells large tubs of feta in brine which keeps for quite a while and isn't too bad

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 22:40 »
The last time I looked Lidl were selling greek produced feta in tubs  :)

chrissie B

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 19:05 »
great i like the lidl one , in the past ive only seen the danish stuff is it in a white box with blue markings on it and is that all the time of only certain days .
chrissie b

tosca100

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 19:24 »
I was in Lidl the other day, all they had was German "feta style" cheese. :(

chrissie B

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 10:47 »
it may just be they are having a theam day , i did look at sainsburys and asds and they say they sell greek feta so will give it ago once me tin has run out .
chrissie b

tosca100

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 11:59 »
it may just be they are having a theam day , i did look at sainsburys and asds and they say they sell greek feta so will give it ago once me tin has run out .
chrissie b
All the supermarkets sell Greek feta as well as "feta style" cheese made in places like Yorkshire. :lol: Only genuine Greek feta can be called feta. I usually wait till either organic or barrel aged is on offer, then buy a load as it keeps for months.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 08:55 »
... Great for baking with peppers, onions, garlic, olives and olive oil. With nice bread to dip in the juices. ...

Mmmm!   :D Yes please!

We do a kind of mixed vege roast with whatever root vegetables are around (potato, kumara, beetroot...) plus the peppers, onions, garlic and olives, with a crumbly feta tossed through the veges at the last minute.  Makes me drool just thinking about it!

In winter you can eat it hot, in summer let it cool, add a squeeze of lemon juice and some baby greens and call it a roast vegetable feta salad.

If there's any left over the following day, put it in an overn-proof dish, add some eggs beaten with a little flour, bake it and call it a frittata.

Serve it all with crusty white bread, freshly ground salt and pepper, and a handful of seasonal herbs ripped up and thrown on top.

tosca100

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 09:24 »

Mmmm!   :D Yes please!

We do a kind of mixed vege roast with whatever root vegetables are around (potato, kumara, beetroot...) plus the peppers, onions, garlic and olives, with a crumbly feta tossed through the veges at the last minute.  Makes me drool just thinking about it!

In winter you can eat it hot, in summer let it cool, add a squeeze of lemon juice and some baby greens and call it a roast vegetable feta salad.

If there's any left over the following day, put it in an overn-proof dish, add some eggs beaten with a little flour, bake it and call it a frittata.

Serve it all with crusty white bread, freshly ground salt and pepper, and a handful of seasonal herbs ripped up and thrown on top.
[/quote]

Wish I'd read this yesterday, I had roast veg with just mash last night, it would have been great with feta if I'd thought about it! :)

dexyblue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 09:55 »
Feta Cheese mmmmmmmmmmm  :D
I came I saw I grew my own veg

chrissie B

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 13:26 »
we like it hot with chillie and tomatoe can be done in the microwave if you carnt wait or in the oven if you want the brown bits round the edge .

olive oil in the bottom of dish then slice of tomatoe then the feta on top of that sliced chillies more oil and a sprinkle of oragano then into the micro for 3/4 mins depending how sloppy you like it , let it cool slightly serve with crusty bread for the oily juces yum yum yum .
chrissie b

tosca100

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 16:25 »
we like it hot with chillie and tomatoe can be done in the microwave if you carnt wait or in the oven if you want the brown bits round the edge .

olive oil in the bottom of dish then slice of tomatoe then the feta on top of that sliced chillies more oil and a sprinkle of oragano then into the micro for 3/4 mins depending how sloppy you like it , let it cool slightly serve with crusty bread for the oily juces yum yum yum .
chrissie b

That's more or less what I do, but use peppers and garlic instead of chilli, and lots of olives. No microwave so use the oven. First had it this way in Thassos. Yum.

xx
Roast Tomato Clafoutis with Goat's Cheese or Feta

Started by madcat on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post October 17, 2016, 22:34
by madcat
xx
feta

Started by titch on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post January 05, 2009, 22:56
by titch
xx
Kopanisti (Pepper and Feta Dip)

Started by mumofstig on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post May 13, 2016, 18:22
by chrissie B
xx
Cheese

Started by lobot on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post November 21, 2008, 19:21
by Trillium

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 36 queries.