one red chili

• 6 Replies

titch

one red chili
« on: September 02, 2008, 11:22 »
i have two chili plants, all the fruits are green, coming along nicely - though not sure how big i should let them go before i harvest them - they are dwarf patio chili - thats what it says on the label - (very appropriate for titch!!!)

we have one chili though in the middle of one plant that is bright red - it says on lable harves when green or leave to go red but this little one has grown red - would like your thoughts please on this and when i should harvest them e.g how big should they be??

Thanks
just keep breathing................

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
one red chili
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 17:58 »
1 more red one than me... and I have about 20 chilli plants!!!!

depends how hot you like your chillis... pick some of the green ones and see how hot they are. Don't do what I did at the weekend and stick a whole Bolivian rainbow in (that I thought wasn't going to be hot, as ones last year weren't) your mush and chew away.... I nearly called the fire engines out it was that hot and I love hot chillis!!!

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
one red chili
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 18:45 »
actually after reading this post I went and picked several green jalapeƱos and cayennes and not one of them has any heat at all... gutted is what I am... 100's of green heatless chilli's... smashing sunny summer.... *sobs into his green chillis*

titch

one red chili
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 12:38 »
The red one is tiny at the moment (about 1cm long if that) so will need to leave it a while, but just wondering how big to leave the grean ones - they are quite fat, so maybe i will pick one and see what its like?

Just thought it was odd that one has grown red - we thought that they gre green and then you could ripen to red - more to this chili business than we thought - will check them out tomorrow as making pasties tonight dont fancy a chili one - chicken kebabs tomorrow so will spic it up a bit (hopefully)  :lol:

Beetroot queen

one red chili
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 13:49 »
My chilli plants in pots are still in flower each plant has about forty on, but are they not going to servive if the weather turns cold. I dont have a green house they are on the patio.

Last year mine were earlier, we also had two red ones appear last year and the rest green, just thought that was normal until I read your post  :?

titch

one red chili
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 20:21 »
Quote from: "Sadgit"
1 more red one than me... and I have about 20 chilli plants!!!!

depends how hot you like your chillis... pick some of the green ones and see how hot they are. Don't do what I did at the weekend and stick a whole Bolivian rainbow in (that I thought wasn't going to be hot, as ones last year weren't) your mush and chew away....
I nearly called the fire engines out it was that hot and I love hot chillis!!!

ok, so i picked a chilli, like you suggested sadgit, and i didnt put the whole thing in but broke it open and licked it and it blew my head off - took ten minutes for my mouth to calm down - oh only put tip of his tongue on it and he was on fire - ha ha then he made our 15 year old try it - he said it was violent!!

agapanthus

one red chili
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 21:27 »
Quote from: "Beetroot queen"
My chilli plants in pots are still in flower each plant has about forty on, but are they not going to servive if the weather turns cold. I dont have a green house they are on the patio.

Last year mine were earlier, we also had two red ones appear last year and the rest green, just thought that was normal until I read your post  :?

Bring them inside when the weather gets cooler....you can really lose and sometimes they will turn if picked :)

xx
3 questions: chili, chili and peat pots

Started by mushroom on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 05, 2007, 17:50
by mushroom
xx
Name that chili?

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 14, 2022, 11:22
by Debz
xx
Chili heat

Started by strangerachael on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post January 09, 2013, 10:07
by mumofstig
xx
more chili advice please

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 04, 2010, 10:53
by chili

Page created in 0.293 seconds with 31 queries.