Dry Beans Sprouting, Help!

• 3 Replies

LotuSeed

Dry Beans Sprouting, Help!
« on: July 08, 2015, 13:40 »
The kidney beans that I sowed back in April are growing nicely and there are loads of lovely, swollen pods ranging in color from green to yellow. I picked a few of the yellow pods to check on how the beans are maturing and I found quite a few that have started germinating inside the growing pods. I'm guessing it's due, at least in part, to the wet weather we've been having. Anywho, can I pick the pods early and let them dry in a cool dry place and then shell once the pods go crispy? I worry about picking so early that they aren't ripe, but if they're sprouting inside the pod, still on the plant, then they must be mature no?  Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

Salmo

Re: Dry Beans Sprouting, Help!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 21:28 »
Your season is a lot different to the UK. Mostly our beans are only just starting to flower.

We usually eat these beans as green pods before the beans develop. If you are growing them for dried beans you should let them ripen and dry. I am sure the very wet weather is the cause of sprouting and will probably not affect any more beans.

LotuSeed

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 01:46 »
Yes, somewhat different climates, but I don't think there's much difference between growing dry beans and growing beans for seed for next season. I'm just not sure if they will book if they need to be picked when they are mature,, just not yet dry. I don't want them all to start sprouting in their pods! 😯 Maybe I should change the title to saving beans for seed😧? Thanks for the input 😊

allotmentann

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 13:05 »
I have always let beans dry on the plant for seed (even in UK wet summers!). If the beans are in the pods l would think that as long as they are properly dried at any stage they would be ok. I guess you would need to be a lot more careful about checking for mould if the beans have more moisture in them when harvested.

xx
Sprouting mung beans

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 04, 2011, 13:39
by LilacSandy
xx
Trouble with peas and beans sprouting

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 14, 2020, 15:04
by prakash_mib
xx
Purple Sprouting Broccoli - sprouting already - too soon?

Started by ptarmigan on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 18, 2013, 10:45
by devonbarmygardener
xx
My purple sprouting broccoli isn't sprouting

Started by Vagabond on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 01, 2020, 10:11
by Grubbypaws

Page created in 0.304 seconds with 35 queries.